Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/et-toy

Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

Irish accordionist Johnny Connelly has an Acadian in his arsenal. you CAN do absolutely anything!. Cultural etiquette and conventions are bs. Play a Chinese instrument if that's you budget. Play a 120 bass if that's what you're comfortable with.
If you have it in you, it'll come out making sense on a 10 cent kazoo. Your 4000 dollar Falcon won't do a thing for you otherwise. Trust you ears first and take everyone else's advice with a pinch of salt.
By the way , that dude Esteban WOULD be able to play unplugged Napalm Death (provided he tuned it down to low low D).
Good luck
JP

Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

Johnny ConnOlly usually plays very simple 4 stop Hohners in both C and D

I have his 3 CD's.. all three are brilliant playing

Of course you can play "Irish" music on a "Cajun" accordion.. if you play in an Irish style.. but still because of the tuning it won't sound Irish

I've done it and I don't care what others think

If you want to play "Irish" on a 1 row 4 stop accordeon get a Hohner 114... somewhat wet tuned but

These play Irish and Quebec style nicely and are more than passable for cajun

A Cajun box does not sound as good in Quebec and Irish if "just" tuned

If you want a versatile box go with the Hohner 114

The little 7 button accordeons have one major flaw

thwey usually start the scale on the 3rd button.. would be better if they started on the 2nd
They are available at flea markets and swap meets for around $10-15

Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

If I remember, the First Act is only missing the #'s 1, 9 and 10 buttons.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

Its missing 1,2 and 10. I can live without the 1 and 2, but that 10 would be nice to have.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

I can do without the 10 but when I use the #7 on my First Act, my dog acts like she will bite my fingers off if I don't stop. She is in for a surprise when I get my cheap fleabay Morelli next week. Hope she will forgive me when I get a real Cajun made accordion in a year or hopefully less.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

Every species has a critic.

Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

The toy accordions you get at flea markets and such are usually the Hero brand, or some other crap.

DON'T get one of those. The scales are wrong, sometimes approaching incomprehensible, and are poorly made. Get the First Act accordion. $20.

Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't play Irish music on a Cajun box, can you? Why not?

I have about 6 of these.. in differing brands.. none of them "first act",, but all look like the first act
so I will deduce they are all made in the same place..

I have dissected them all and swapped parts and padded them and retuned them replaced the thumb and bass straps and so on..

Usually end up with two real good ones..

Perhaps the makers/importers will read this and make a 9 or 10 button for $35 .. now that would be great.

May be made in the same place, but not to the same specifications or standards.

I suspect they are getting their feet held to the fire a bit more with this brand.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!