Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: swampdogs and morellis out of the ?

a 3 row has too many negatives for cajun music.

the low notes are missing.
it may have extra, confusing, notes at the top.
they are not as loud, so dynamics are hard to
get.
usually they are tuned way too wet.
too heavy.

and a cheap one has more problems.
tuning may be inconsistent from note to note.
no bottom octave, sound is thin.
volume/dynamics even more limited.

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: swampdogs and morellis out of the ?

I don't agree that you can't play Cajun music on a triple-row. Of course you can. Having said that I will agree that the classic Cajun sound must be played on a Cajun accordion, however if all you have is a triple row you can certainly make it work,...and work pretty well. I am the accordionist in the North Louisiana band The Red River Playboys. I have 5 accordions on stage with me (Two Cajun, Two Triple-Row Diatonics, and one five Row Chromatic). The five row is a Morelli. I bought it because I had never played a chromatic but needed to learn to get certain notes and chords that a diatonic could not reach. Generally, the reeds aren't as good as the Italian reeds, but they're not beyond hope. I had to take the Morelli down and have it wet tuned to the max in order to get close to the sound a Gabbanelli has. But, it works for me and I'm starting to get much better on the chromatic. So, for under $600.00 I did pretty good. The Morelli isn't that bad for the money. They don't have all the rinestone glitz others have and I suspect this helps keep the price down.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!