Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
The smoker you drink, the player you get

All;

It is the talent playing the box...

The proof of the that statement is: I am from MI and have a LA box and can't play it worth a ****; except my own enjoment. I have a cheap Hohner Ariette that a friend from LA played the everlovin' out of... go figure you say? LOL

Peace
Griff

Re: it ain't the meat it's the motion...

... it is 90% playing 10% instrument.. then if you play well.. probably you'll sound even better on a LA Cajun box Cajun tuned..

.. Cajun tuned: simple.. just take strobe readings from reputable Cajun boxes ( Martin, Falcon, Acadian, Bon Tee, Mouton etc etc ) .. and you can replicate exactly Cajun tuning wherever you are... done it already.. and they are indistinguishable from LA boxes.. ( Italian reeds, LA handiwork which can be quantified via strobe tuners )..

.. I too can't play worth a &%$£ .. but sure love those LA boxes.. with all the Italian inards..

G.

Re: Lord -a- Mercy ... I am sending my box back (just funny to me I suppose)

Yes Nonc, I am Cajun , and as you well know, I live in Texas ( along the Texas/Louisiana border ).
Swapping reeds from one accordion to another????
I'll "plead the 5th " on that one and stay out of it. Send them to Larry Miller if he's willing to take the job.

Jude

Re: switching reeds between accordions

The best Cajun accordions are made in Louisiana period. You can take all of the strobe readings you want. As long as it is not tuned in Louisiana, it's not authentic cajun. The reeds are Italian made yes, but they are cut from a blueprint designed by Marc Savoy, and shared with the other great Louisiana accordion builders. Cajun music, especially traditional cajun music has a unique sound. Just like Irish music has that unique sound.

Re: Re: switching reeds between accordions

well yea it is who is behind the accordian because I play the cajun accordian from larry miller and i know. I seen guys playing for 40 years and they only use one or two keys and i play all 10

Re: Re: Re: switching reeds between accordions

you have an accordion for each key?..you da man!

I agree that Cajun accordions.. the best are made in LA. I don't agree that the tuning can't be acheived elsewhere. If I get a Baffetti Cajun accordion and retune to match readings taken from an LA box..they will sound very similar if not identical.

As to how they play or meet with player expections, that is another issue.

True, Italians have not been able to build ( (aesthetically and in terms of playability ) a Cajun box as well as the LA builders even with Italian materials.. but.. the tuning, that is easily quantified and reproduced.. so you can have some Cajuno sounding foreign Cajun boxes which are identical sounding. Even without strobes, the specs on Cajun tuning are readily available and can be applied.

I think it is positive that the Cajun music requires its own tuning styles.. it certainly doesn't follow the logic of traditional accordion tuning..but does get that desired sound which is characteristic of true Cajun music.

So, the Player is THE determinaning factor, the Box doesn't matter, the tuning has to be Cajun ( which you can do anywhere to any box ).

Just my opinion. G:

Re: Re: Re: switching reeds between accordions

I agree totally. If I use a professional tuner in Sweden who has tuned boxes from all over the world during the last thirty years; scandinavian, french musette, irish and argentinian bandoneon boxes, just to name a few, I'm certain that he can tune a cajun box as good as or better than a tuner in Louisiana, who perhaps has built and tuned a few accordions a year in his garage ? Especially as I also leave my Acadian to my tuner to get the strobe readings.

Btw, the accordion I'm talking about is the 9 button Martin i bought from you, Glenn.

/Gunnar

What the HECK???

The best Cajun accordions are made in Louisiana period. You can take all of the strobe readings you want. As long as it is not tuned in Louisiana, it's not authentic cajun.

And if it's tuned by a Greek who happens to live in Delhi LOUISIANA does that MAKE it AUTHENTIC CAJUN?

Re: What the HECK???

He he, good one Joanie!

I'm glad you said something, I was about to chalk another one up to jingoism and ignorance!

I wonder whether "Cajun Green Eyes" ever considered that there are some Cajun accordions made and tuned in Texas? Last time I checked, they were as authentic as it gets.

Re: switching reeds between accordions

Friend John...bet you're glad you asked this question...

Well actually a few reponses were on the topic, mon ami from south of the border - the Wis Border that is. I forget Mike, you comin up this way today?

With prices so high on new accordions these days, I think it is easier for me to try and get the reeds changed on the two of accordions I got rather than try and go buy another one.

Each accordion has a certain feel. I just happen to like to feel of that Jr Martion Bb and wished it was a C. I got the Bb hoping to start playing in Bb in my band but I can see that would be way too much hassle. Bb's so much easier to sing in , but it ain't goin to happen. Suck it up and sing high. Man do I envy those cajun singers with those true tenor voices.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!