Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
150 dollars worth of cheap fun

http://www.bengalrecords.com/jim/choupique.mp3

I love this cheap D Morelli, it has character, despite the flaws. The thing about these things, is they won't last 50 years. It's almost replica of the prototype for the Arriette.

Starting out on a Cajun accordion, you shouldn't buy one of these Chinese things unless you are willing to exercise your arms while learning.
That's pretty much how I started (with an Arriette that I murdered) and it was frustrating as hell.

I'm wondering if... supposing I take good care of this Morelli and play it properly, I wonder how long it would hold up. Who would want to send one these things to the doctor anyway when it's sick?

Besides that...

An Acadian was a God send after all that! So was the used Martin I bought, although, it's bellows feel like a rag (someone abused it, maybe hung it up to stretch)

Re: 150 dollars worth of cheap fun

Jim,

On your $1.50 Morelli, are your stops in the up position or down to play? Just received mine a couple of hours ago and tried to play the treble side with the stops up. I know I've lost a lot of muscle in my left arm but I could not even budge the thing until I pushed the stops in.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!