Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: West Coast Cajun Music camp

depends on who is teaching

Re: Re: West Coast Cajun Music camp

That would be a little far for you, wouldn't it. You have Balfa close to home, which would probably be the best for all around experience.

But, I just have to see what will attract people. I was originally thinking that only West Coast folks might be interested, as a cheaper alternative to stuff in other parts of the country.

Hey Dwight,

How about a little farther south, like the Alta Sierra camp outside Fresno? For me, Sonoma is a bit far to drive for just a weekend (though a week-long camp would be a different story) and I hate to fly.

On the other hand, I've been to that Alta Sierra camp for Contra dance things and find it doable.

Who ARE you thinking of for teachers?

J.P.

Re: Re: West Coast Cajun Music camp

As far as teachers, trying to keep costs down. If we can snag someone who is already out here playing a gig, that would be great, if they can work a weekend in. If we have to fly folks out, that would up the costs. I have to see how many are interested, who they'd want to work with, how much those people would cost, and would it be feasible.

The dance aspect is probably going to pay the bills though, from what I'm being told so far.

For lower level classes, might use local pros maybe, I don't know. I'm not wanting to take off at 30,000 feet.

Problem with Fresno is that there are a LOT of folks here in the Bay Area who probably would not make it down there, particularly dancers.

What about a long weekend? Thursday afternoon/night, Full day Friday, Sat, and 2/3rds of Sunday?

Re: Re: Re: West Coast Cajun Music camp

Well Dwight,

Bidness is bidness and if Sonoma pulls 10 other dancer/musicians while losing me and Alta Sierra gets me but loses those other 10, then there you are.

The last time I was there was summer of 2002 for a week-long Contra dance-oriented camp. The special attraction that year (and the one that made me decide to go) was the presence of Mona "Zydeco Queen" Wilson to teach dance and Billy Wilson and Motordude Zydeco to supply the music.

But you right, because, while it was a lot of fun for me, it was sponsored by the Bay Area Contra Dance Society and it was the most poorly attended event they'd had at the end of a string of dwindling attendance. And they counted on the Bay area dancers to keep it pumped up.

I see in my atlas that Sonoma is quite a bit closer to the bay than Fresno. Oh well, do what you gotta.

J.P.

Sounds like a great idea!

What you suggest would be far more practical for me than the other camps.

-David

I can teach

hey why dont you get me to teach?

Re: Sounds like a great idea!

What would you like to see taught?

The usual (I guess)

I haven't been to any of the camps, and in fact, I have had no formal or informal instruction of any kind, so it's a little hard for me to know what to suggest.

I suppose that whatever is done at the camps would probably work.

-David

teach what a a r o n?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!