Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English words to The Back Door

i love that song
even in english it;s cajun

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English words to The Back Door

Who told you that!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: English words to The Back Door

I'd like to get the other english version of it though

Rufus Jagneaux English/Cajun Version of THE BACK DOOR

There's a GREAT funky English/Cajun version of "The Back Door" that I hear played quite frequently on KBON 101FM. I couldn't recall the name of the group, so finally asked Paul Marx, who provided me with the answer.

The English version of "The Back Door" is by the group "Rufus Jagneaux". See information regarding them on the CajunCulture.com website at:

http://www.cajunculture.com/People/rufusJag.htm
(active link at #3 above!) From that website comes this information:

Another recording, "The Back Door" (1975), was a bilingual swamp pop re-recording of D. L. Menard’s Cajun classic "La porte d’en arrière"; it became a belated swamp pop classic when re-issued on compact disc in the 1990s.

The song is on the CD "SWAMP POP Vol. 3" on the JIN record lable. The CD is available and Todd Ortego of the Music Machine (337)-457-4846 in Eunice can get it for you.

Re: Rufus Jagneaux English/Cajun Version of THE BACK DOOR

Looks like its the Rufus Jagneaux version that I might be looking for. Thanks to Gary for Queen Ida's version. The words Leon sent is an english translation of the french version and doesn't sing right in english.

The Back Door is a simple song but somewhat different from others in that it has a tune part only (no turn) and the tune part is 12 measures long (instead of most 2 steps being in groups of 8 measures).

We don't do it much anymore but up here in the North it never hurts to have english lyrics in songs so we are revisiting this one hoping to get some good english lyrics.

THE BACK DOOR--12 bar blues

I've taken my accordions (both the Cajun box and a piano-key) to blues jams. One of the tunes I usually suggest to the blues-types to play is The Back Door because it is a straight 12-bar blues tune (I play it in G on my C Cajun box) and the blues folks don't have any problems playing it.

Re: THE BACK DOOR--12 bar blues

D.L. Menard said he took it from Hank Williams' Honky Tonk Blues. Link above to the English lyrics.

Re: THE BACK DOOR--12 bar blues

i think if you play it right,
there is a 2-extra-beat section between
the a and b parts..

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!