Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: La Louisianne Records and them Ambrose LPs

Ambrose Thibodeaux recorded the four LPs on La Louisianne and a fifth LP on the Bee Label. I have never seen it, though - even though I keep looking.

Last week, I happened to see Reggie Matte delivering sausage to the restaurant in the Four Deuces Truck Stop in Duson. I spoke to him, and when I told him that I was from the Washington, D.C. area, he told me that he had appeared on a radio program in Bethesda, Md., in 1972 with Ambrose Thibodeaux. He mentioned that the disc jockey had an Ambrose song for his theme song. That DJ was Damian Einstein, and the radio station was WHFS. Damian is now with a radio station in Annapolis; and as far as I know, he still has the same theme song - Musician One-Step, I think.

Then we started talking about the recordings. He said that he played guitar and did some of the vocals on at least two (maybe three) of Ambrose's recordings. One of them was the LP on the Bee label. I thought that was interesting.

I have made a lot of attempts to find the Bee LP, but never succeeded. We talked a good while, and I learned a lot more than I previously knew about Ambrose and also about Reggie. He has quite a long history, not only with Jambalaya and Ambrose Thibodeaux, but with D.L. Menard and Dennis McGee, among others.

Jack Bond

Off Topic - WHFS

I have Radio Free Omaha (1970-1971) and WHFS out of DC(1971-1973) to thank for taking me out of the AM mainstream of radio hits into the Long John Baldry, Leon Russell, Buffy Sainte Marie, Jethro Tull, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Cat Mother and the All Night Newsboys, and I guess, Cajun music that I didn't recognize as such at the time. How a double-knit wearing suburban boy got his (pale, diluted) funk!

S'b'B

Re: Off Topic - WHFS

"How a double-knit wearing suburban boy got his (pale, diluted) funk!"

Just write "The Tepid Two Step" and jam the house down.

Re: Re: Off Topic - WHFS

I'll go home and do that right away...

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!