Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
accordion repair in New York area?

Hello,
I wondered if any of you have had any experience with getting repairs in the NY area and if you could recommend anyone? My problem is on the bass side of my Hohner 114. The pads have worn, and one of the spoons isn't seating properly, so it's leaking air and sometimes sound. (I've only had the thing for ten months.) I thought this might be a fairly routine sort of fix and hopefully not so expensive. Has anyone had any experience with Main Squeeze downtown or Alex's Accordions on 48th?
Thanks in advance.
Claude

Re: accordion repair in New York area?

hi claude,
years ago i played music with a musician who used to get his accordions tuned up in Nyack, NY. His name was Aldo Mendochino and he was pretty good at his craft. I hope that helps.
rw

Re: Re: accordion repair in New York area?

hello again claude...
did some research and this is the name and contact information on the accordion repair person i know of in NY....
Aldo Mencaccini 126 Route 303 W. Nyack, NY 10994 (914) 353-3515
hope this helps.
roger

Hello, Claude, buy Louisiana Made and you will not have to worry about repairs.

A. Dailey
Opelousas, La

Every accordion, be it Louisiana Made or not, may eventually need repairs. EVERYTIME I go into Greg Mouton's shop on Highway 13, he's working on repairing various Louisiana Made accordions that people have brought in to him.

Although I'm just across the river here in Jersey, I deal with Junior Martin for all my repairs. My experience with Main Squeeze is limited and colored by personal issues. Junior is fast and very accomodating. Give him a call.
Charlie

you get what you pay for, I have a ten year old Pointe Noir that has never been to the shop and I know the previous owner played the hell out of it because he is in a band. I have a brand new Acadian, and the Pointe Noir sounds just as good if not better. The point is, you shouldn't be having problems with your accordion after only ten months.

Alex Accordions on 48 Street. They have worked on my triple notes. Also Main Squeeze on Essex Street. both highly recommended.

Ernest Deffner in Mineola (Long Island) are truly fantastic!

http://www.accordions.com/ernestd/repair.htm

They are fast, reliable and very good ... but not cheap.

I have them do my PAs, don't know if they can tune a 1-row properly to cajun specs... but would trust them with anything.

Re: Re: Re: accordion repair in New York area? MANY THANKS

Many thanks to Roger, Charlie, Johnny, and Soundhound for their suggestions. Each seemed like a good idea and I appreciate the help. Ultimately, I took it to Alex's this morning since I was in the neighborhood anyway.
Since I think any competent accordion repair person could fix this problem I think I saved some time and money by doing this locally.
Thanks also to CajunGreenEyes for sending a photograph of his impressive collection of beautiful La. boxes--they look very nice.

Alex was prompt and reasonable (as in: more expensive than Louiisana guys; cheaper than The Button Box) when I needed some work done on an old Hohner Vienna. I didn't ask for Cajun tuning, though.

Alex Musical Instruments
165 W. 48th St.
(212) 819-0070

Looks like others (posts below) have given you some viable options.

S'b'B

Sorry for not responding sooner. I guess I've been asleep at the wheel. Claude, have we met???

I've had "leak" problems with my Acadian ever since I bought it. I've taken it to Main Squeeze and they were nice but I didn't get my problem solved -- I think I was in a hurry that particular time and their main repair guy only comes in once a week.

Bob Godfried, who I play with in the Bosco Stompers, has been a big help. One of his many sidelines is accordion repair (in addition to harmonium repair and I can't remember what-all else). I'll give you his info if you contact me off-list. Anyway, he pretty much showed me how to repair it myself. It was really just a problem with the wire on the flappers being too soft.

And now I've realized it also had a lot to do with my playing technique. I've lightened up my touch on the buttons and have been springing a lot less leaks lately.

Henry from New York

Re: Re: Re: accordion repair in New York area?

Hello Henry,
Thanks for this. I'll keep your suggestion in mind. We haven't met but I'll try to catch the Bosco Stompers sometime and I'll say hello if circumstances permit.
Claude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!