Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Times of Acadiana story on music stores hurting

Tower Records in NYC is also doing very badly. The place is NEVER packed.

Sometimes I feel like dinosaur just because I actually buy cd's...

Nick B.

Re: Re: Re: Times of Acadiana story on music stores hurting

Dang... I had no idea of the extent this file-swapping crud was causing... Thanks for the enlightenment.

I'll be in Eunice next Friday and Saturday. I couldn't determine from the article if Music Machine had officially closed or is in business on a day-to-day basis. I guess I'll find out for sure...

I've been a Lousisiana music disc jockey on the Dallas airwaves (KNON 89.3 FM) for 17 years and have purchased every CD (and vinyl) release I own and spin on my show. It makes me not want to broadcast the names of tunes or artists... but I usually spin rather deep cuts that *most likely* aren't out there in the cyber-candy-jar.

While I usually purchase my music at Lake Charles Music in LC, Music City in Opelousas, and at Floyd's in VP, it makes me really sad to see the ilks of what downloading is wreaking on the brick-and-mortar shops. I remember when Racoon Music closed a few years ago and had thought they had moved to a bigger and better location on Johnston Street -- only to find out they truly closed their doors, much to my chagrin.

What a friggin' catch-22 technology has delivered to artists and shop-owners alike. FNA...

Support yer local independent stores and artists!

R!ck

Help for Louisiana Heritage and Gifts

The Pine Leaf Boys have sent out the following message about helping the store. I don't believe they would mind if I posted it here:

"Attention friends:
As many of you may very well be aware, especially now after reading the article in the Times of Acadiana, our favorite music store, Louisiana Heritage and Gifts, owned by Mitch and Lisa Reed, is in dire need of help to stay in business. Not just selling little gifts and CDs, but maintaining the jam sessions, and music lessons. Not only a building to buy CDs, the music store is a refuge for music enthusiasts and aspiring musicians who attend lessons, visit jam sessions, and get together with friends once a week.

We are planning an upcoming event on SUNDAY, APRIL 2nd, where bands will play music, we'll cook, drink, and be merry, and by doing so, help to save an integral part of Cajun life in the present day. We’ll have accordion & fiddle contests, face-painting for the kids, awesome Cajun & Zydeco music from hot bands, and, hell, we’ll even mud-wrestle and chase greasy chickens if you want.

Please visit http://www.pineleafboys.com/savethemusic.html for more info
Please read the article online from the Times of Acadiana at http://timesofacadiana.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060308/NEWS0102/603080301/1051

Anything you can offer to make this work, whether time, money or utilities such as a grill, ice chests or tents, you will not be forgotten. Let’s join forces and make a fun day out of this. Contact Wilson Savoy at wilson@pineleafboys.com for more information, and please pass this email on to anyone who will be interested. If you are out of state and can not make it, take part in any way you can!!! We’ll have an update soon regarding bands and activities."

Re: Help for Louisiana Heritage and Gifts

I haven't had a chance to visit their store (I'm planning to in April) but I have ordered books, CDs, etc. from La. Heritage & Gifts by phone and let me tell you, they are the nicest people to do business with. I just love talking to Mama Redell! So, if you're like me and can't visit the store without booking a flight, I recommend that you give them a call and order some of those CDs and books!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!