Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I Need Info On Building A Cajun Accordion

Hello, good people!

My name is John Jeansonne. I'm originally from the Avoyelles parish area of Louisiana. I now reside in Nashville, TN where I play the fiddle for a country band called Rascal Flatts. I grew up playing mainly the fiddle, but also the Cajun accordion. When I was 14(in 1985) I proudly won the Louisiana fiddling champion title. I also won it ten years later in 1995. I do not particularly like talking about myself , but I mention the above things so that others will know I am a serious musician.

Regardless of the fact that I now live away from Louisiana, and play fiddle in a country-pop band, I still continue to practice the Cajun language and music with my children.

My newest endeavor to help to preserve my Acadian heritage is to build a Cajun accordion for my children. And although the subject of "Cajun Accordion Building" has already been posted at this forum, I thought I would renew it. I know nothing at all about building one of these accordions, but I certainly want to learn. Since I own three Cajun accordions (an Acadian, a Bon Tee, and a Sidney), I do know it's parts. However, I don't know how to get these parts. For example, I know that Binci reeds are commonly used by the Louisiana makers, but I do not know how to go about buying them from Binci. The same goes for bellows. I have no idea where to buy them.

As far as the overall process of Cajun accordion building goes, I 've looked for all sorts of information: books, DVD's, building plans, web sites, etc. Sadly, I can find nothing on this subject.

Any direction that one could give me would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time in reading this.

John Jeansonne

Re: I Need Info On Building A Cajun Accordion

Hi John..welcome to board... steve from new jersey has built his own accordion and made a webpage about it... here is a link http://fiddleboy.net/box.html

I had the same issue. Knowing how to build stringed instruments, I built and sold a banjo and asked Danny D. to build me an accordion with the proceeds. I'd still like to build a squeezebox though. Maybe when I finish this violin in a couple of months!
Craig

Just thought I would let you people know that I've gotten quite a few emails about Cajun accordion building. To get such a response is very encouraging. I am determined to be a Cajun accordion maker!

How awesome it would be to be able play my own handmade accordion with the brand name "Jeansonne" on it! It will happen one day. I am certain of it!

Re: Re: I Need Info On Building A Cajun Accordion

great..be sure to take lots of pictures so you could share with us later:)

John Jeansonne
It will happen one day. I am certain of it!

Hey Mr. John,
just wondering if you had made any progress on your build project?

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!