Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where to go dancing near Lafayette?

Go to the Patsy report link the link #2 above. You have a zillion choices. Wish I was there.

There's so many choises. Most of them are restaurants that also have live music and it's all good but, if you're looking for the real deal, go to La Poussiere dance hall in Breaux Bridge on Sat. night and dance to the music of Walter Mouton And The Scott Playboys. It still is what it used to be 30 years ago.
Jude

Re: Re: Where to go dancing near Lafayette?

And don't forget La Poussiere's on Sunday afternoon as well with Jackie Callier and Ivy Dugas and the Cajun Cousins - great band, and during lent and much bigger crowd than on Sat Night.

Dale,

This may not be as easy for you as it is for me (I live in Maryland); but if you can, listen to Pete Bergeron's radio show on KRVS.org on the computer.
He is on Monday through Friday from 5:00 to 7:00 (6 to 8 for me). Every day, he gives places and dates for restaurants, jam sessions, dances, etc. Of course I don't understand French too well and I often can't tell when the events are happening, but I always know where. He often mentions places in Crowley, Rayne, and Jennings.

One other place that I have found to be a lot of fun on Thursday nights is a jam session at Nick's in Eunice. Every time we have been there, it has been a lot of fun. Larry Miller ususally is there. Also, Kyle Huval, the son of the guy who runs the jam, is ususallyu there. He is one of the best young accordion players that I have heard.

Jack Bond

Merci Beaucoup to you all for your individual suggestions as well as the valuable references and resources you pointed me to -- this combination is just what we needed!! Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler!

Dale

Re: Re: Where to go dancing near Lafayette?

It is all by "night of the week" down there. You can call the places up (safest) or read Times of Acadiana when you are there (I would still call before getting into the car for a long drive!).

You can see great zydeco or cajun at Randols... but each has its own night---and a different crowd for each. Same for Wranglers in Carencro... even Cowboys in Lafayette.

Sunday Night at Mulates (Breaux Bridge) is one of the great ones--- Al Berard & The Basin Brothers. Great Food, some of the most beautiful cajun music anywhere on the planet, and lots of dancers, too.

Re: Re: Re: Where to go dancing near Lafayette?

If it's the weekend, you've got plenty of choices, for sure. A nice time is to go to Henderson, east of Lafayette, and eat a stellar meal at Pat's... then walk next door to the new, Atchafalya Club. There's usually a great band playing (Geno, Travis Matte, Kevin Naquin, etc.) It's nice, comfortable and huge with plenty of room to work off all that rice and gravy. Then, when the dance is over, you can get the remainder of that 40 oz. dacquiri you got at the Paradise drive-thru out of your car, climb up the levee, and howl at the moon! C'est fun!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!