Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: 9-Button

i strongly advocate making it an A.

i don;t really play cajun though.

the thing is, if you really need a low G on the
pull, it;s on the left hand anyway.

that low A is more useful than a 3rd low G
[counting the #2 push]

i use it all the time but
a. i play zydeco [though no other
players seem to have this at all -
i just like being able to play things
in the low octave as a variation - and
having the low A is indispensable for that]
and
b. i try to use it, because i like it, which
is why i have it

wle.

Re: Re: Re: 9-Button

oops, that should have been button one pull, not push, of course, for the A

Re: 9-Button

There are different types of nine-button accordions. What most people see these days is one that is shorter than a ten-button accordion and a little wider. The other type is mostly associated with accordion builder, John Hebert. Mr. Hebert built a regular sized accordion, but just left off the top button. One of the first accordions I learned to play on was an "Hebert." There aren't many around, but I think that Jamie Berzas still plays one regularly.

As for volume and such, I think the same factors that create noticeable differences in accordions from the same builder also stand true here. I'm sure there are some scientific equations to calculate the difference in air volume and pressure created by the different bellows sizes, but personally, I have not noticed any big difference.

Hi,
sorry to dredge up the past....

(not really)

was wondering about 9 button cajun boxes....
specifically the time period that John E Hebert was building boxes....

and is it 'normal' or 'customary' for a 9 button to be a little higher priced than an equalivent 10 button?

thanks y'all

I guess paying more for less seems logical for me if it's a specially built instrument, more work & designing things differently.

As for button one pull on a C instrument .. i prefer a 4th, so F instead of G, you can play partly an F major chord for backing up songs & soloists. Example:

- Nout

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!