Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Family... the kids... what's the word Chris Miller??

Camryn, my 14 year old daughter, has been playing the guitar for about a year now. She is getting pretty good and has a good ear for chord changes. She has been sitting in with the band occassionally and is able to follow most 3 chord songs just great.

Colten, her twin brother, has been messing around with the piano a good bit lately. He has been learning "Rondo a la turca" by Mozart...mostly picking out by ear and following what he learned on his light-up key keyboard.

Candace, my 11 year old, has also started to learn a tiny bit of guitar and fiddle, but doesn't have the stick-to-it-ness of the other two. Caressa, my oldest (16) is pretty committed to singing and is not that interested in any instruments at this time.

Thank you for your kind words, Nonc. I have been truly blessed...thank you for reminding me. Sometimes I like to complain to God about all the things I am not happy about...you brought me right back to earth and my proper senses with your last post. Thanks so much.

Re: Re: Re: My Saturday Night Experience...Bubba Frey's

I have eaten (very good food) there and enjoyed the music and fun. The music is not the high energy thing the younger Cajun musicians are doing today, but is the real stuff that was played at house dances decades ago. I know i grew up with an accordion player, my Dad. Something for visitors to La to experience if they have an interest in the Cajun culture. And most of the musicians speak the Cajun dialect.

JB

Re: Re: My Saturday Night Experience...Bubba Frey's

How is Bubba's known for its lack of service?

Re: My Saturday Night Experience...Bubba Frey's

Best boudin and boudin balls are in Opelousas, Billy and Ray's

Re: Re: My Saturday Night Experience...Bubba Frey's

Yeah, but which Billy's or Ray's?

I usually ask for Ray's... Billy's is spicier (hotter) but not as good as Don's in Carencro.

Boudin

Best boudin I've ever had ~ and I've sampled it from lots of places ~ was being sold at a Cajun French Music Association dance/fundraiser held at the Yambilee Buiding in Opelousas. I still wonder where they got it from...

Re: Boudin

All this talk about Boudin has made me hungry for some and the only thing I have to eat for dinner tonite is chicken and homemade sausage gumbo!

Re: Boudin

That boudin is always donated from Bubba Frey at the Mowata Store. He is also a member of the CFMA and very good friends of Claudia Wood and Harry LaFleur (who was the founder of the organization. In fact he studied under Harry when learning to play the fiddle.

Re: My Saturday Night Experience...Bubba Frey's

Chris,

Yeah, really enjoyed your set at The Liberty.
Good sound balance both vocally and with instruments.

It was Sunday morning here in Australia when we started streaming via KRVS and you came through loud and clear.

Hope to hear you again some time...
Darryl, Australia.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!