Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Eagle accordian

Those old Eagle accordions you see on ebay were always inexpensive boxes to start with. (Make sure it is at least the 3 stop model. (4 would be better)

If you want a "toy" for the kids, that's fine.
Even when put in decent playing condition, they are not even close to the "modern" Cajun boxes.

If you want a toy, the "first Act" accordions from Toys'R'US would be a better choice.

Hohestly, I think the cheap Chinese boxes are more robust for kids than an antique Eagle.

It my personal opinion, it will take more time and money to put an old Eagle box in good playing condition than to buy a cheap Chinese box.

Other people may have other thoughts.
What do you all think?

DP

Re: Eagle accordian - do it!

Lord God-a-mercy, your tainted already and don't know it! French Quarter hummmm.... I am sorry Mike, that was flat wrong of me tossing that one in. I should be telling you; Where ever that call of the accordion bites ya from outside of Cajun Region, is as good as any place I suppose.. as long as you get bit. Don't discount that piano accordion now; Clifton (and others still playing it like Chris Miller) made some huge shifts putting that thing to work old school, it has weights and values.

What ever you get as a single row (less than a hand made) is going to leave you eventually wanting a "you know what (a hand made)"... if you decide to stick with it, that is.

Chi Town.. humm... Check out Charlie Terr, his brother John and Charlie's wife Lynn, nearby where you are. They're doing it for what it is all about in matters of music and accordion.

There is also Dr. Gene that may be up to coaching you some, on both single row + guitar for what you may be looking for (a great guy). He pops on the board now and then...perhaps if we Chant his name in unison he will respond to this post.

Mike just get started with something, and don't let that accordion bite slip away, it is too fun!

Re: Re: Eagle accordian - do it!

Thanks guys..that helps a lot.
The internet is a great source of information...but it can also be overwhelming and confusing. I think I could spend $500-$600...but don't know if that would get me anywhere.
Seems like the really good boxes are about twice that...and I just can't justify that right now.
I know I'll love playing it...but I also know a bad instrument can fight you for more than its worth.
If anyone can point me in the right direction for anywher close to that price range...I would greatly appreciate it.
Mike

Re: Re: Re: Eagle accordian - do it!

I'd strongly suggest getting the First Act accordion, at Walmart, KMart, Toys 'R Us. $20.

I've written songs on these and use them at work to practice with, etc.

Yes, they have their limitations, but it can whet your whistle until you figure out if its for you. A full size box would be less inhibiting.

I've got a workbook I can send you for playing Cajun music on the toy accordion. It uses tablature, no sheet music, and doesn't have any sound files, but its something.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eagle accordian - do it!

I would love to get your workbook/file. Do you charge? Let me know.

sincerely,
Sherry Pierce
sherrypierce@hotmail.com

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

I'd strongly suggest getting the First Act accordion, at Walmart, KMart, Toys 'R Us. $20.

I've written songs on these and use them at work to practice with, etc.

Yes, they have their limitations, but it can whet your whistle until you figure out if its for you. A full size box would be less inhibiting.

I've got a workbook I can send you for playing Cajun music on the toy accordion. It uses tablature, no sheet music, and doesn't have any sound files, but its something.

Re: Re: Eagle accordian - do it!

Yes, Nonc D I hear you chanting. I'd also like to
see your face (and the rest of you) at Augusta or
someplace like that real soon again. We just had
Ed P and Jesse up here for a weekend. Ed polished
up the Bb - Ed Poullard #4 - and it's playing great.
Will be even better when I get that $25 I found in
the case taken care of! (Inside joke.)

Mike. Try to attend the monthly dance at the Irish
American Center (Lawrence and the Edens) for a great
dance done by the Midway Ramblers. (Google them
for their website with directions.) The last of the
season is May 5, I think.

I may be there, or look out for Sandy (just ask the
band). One of us will get you pointed in the
right directions, and maybe even some jam sessions.

Gene

Aside from e-bay..and short of driving 1,000 miles...

Is there anywhere I could find a used good-box?
I've done a bunch of internt searches...but no luck.

Mike

Re: Re: Eagle accordian

just a suggestion.. but maybe contact every LA. accordion builder you can and ask if they have any used boxes around...i hear larry miller sometimes gets some used boxes.....if you budget is $600 already save for a few months and get a handmade...i'm sure you can still find some made for $1000.

here is a list of accordion builders

http://www.cajunmusicforum.com/index.php?showtopic=7

Re: Re: Re: Eagle accordian

I'm sure this might be in the back-posts...but how is the hohner 114?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Eagle accordian

Hello Mike,
I've been playing the 114, pretty much daily, for a year now. Its good points are: (1) its easier to play than the Ariette; (2) assuming you get it below list price, its cheaper than a handbuilt (Marc Savoy sells them at a decent price); and (3) its far better than nothing.
That said, I wouldn't recommend the 114 for you. I bought the 114 because, unlike you, I'm not a musician. I thought the odds were that I'd throw the thing away in frustration after a month or two, so I wasn't going to buy a handbuilt. Much to my surprise that wasn't the case. If you can play your PA with BOTH hands, well, you're way ahead of where I was...
The bad points of the 114 are: (1) its tuning is way too wet so it will never give you the sound you fell in love with; (2) instead of buttons, the bass/chord box has these peculiar and awkward spoons that you will come to hate; (3) its simply not as enjoyable/easy to play as a handbuilt; and (4)its rather poorly made.
I think you will regret "cheaping out" with the 114. If you're on a tight budget its going to be that much more painful to buy a handbuilt after you've blown your mad money on the 114.
Anyway, try not to let what-to-buy get you bogged down. The important thing (to me anyway) is loving, enjoying, and playing the beautiful beautiful music the best you can. Enjoy!

Chicago has an excellent Cajun venue and some local bands the are top flight. Find out about Chicago folk festivals this summer as there are a few Cajun dances coming up in the Chicago area.
Leslie

Re: Re: Eagle accordian

I went through the same thing a good while back. I actually purchased a few old German made "antiques" that were worth nothing more than something cool to look at. In my opinion, do not waste your time and money on an Eagle or anything like that. I lost big time on those types and finally bought a 114. I am grately satisfied with it, and if you were planning on spending around 500, it is a good choice. It is too wet tuned, but you can get by in my opinion. Look out if you try a handmade though, it is a whole nutha world! Looking back, I would have definetly held off awhile and purchased handmade. Check out Savoy music center, Mark has the best price I think on 114's. Welcome and good luck!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!