Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: first timer

I have been dealing with John Castiglione for many years and can say that he backs his stuff up and sells quality accordions.

Re: Re: first timer

I know it seems like spending a bunch for a non-hand made box...but its still about half the cost and seems to be a definate step-up from the hohner 114.
John said on the phone that all the materials are just better and the box is way better sounding and made.
He also sells the hohners...so he can compare.
Wish I knew the make of what he has so I can ask you guys but I don't.
He just its german made and very good quality.

Re: Re: Re: first timer

Is it a Weltmeister?

Peace,
Griff

Re: Re: Re: Re: first timer

You know...I don't know if he even said. And I'll be talking to him again...maybe tomorrow. He basically said it was sort of in-between the hand builts and the $500 range hohners.
said it was a big step-up in quality over the hohner 114.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: first timer

Talked to John again. He said its a brand they have made just for them.
Sounds like they might have a deal with a manufacturer in germany or something to distribute their accordians.
He sounds like a pretty decent guy. Od course hes trying to sell me an accordian...but he seems pretty up-front.

Re: Castiglione

Is that the same Castiglione that makes accordions by the same name?

Re: Re: Castiglione

No he has his manufactured in Italy and also sells other brands like Beltuna.

Re: Re: Re: Castiglione

That's what I mean.
Is he the seller of the Castiglioni branded accordions?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Castiglione

Yep! That's him.

Re: first timer/ Hohner 114

Hi Mike,
I have a Hohner 114, used, key of C, 4 stops. I have $300.oo in it, & I'd let it go for that + shipping. I think you've got pretty good feedback here concerning the 114, it's strengths & weaknesses. FYI, if I sell it, it will be to begin raising some $ towards another Louisianna hand made. I have enjoyed playing it & find it very playable, but it is not a Louisianna hand made. I play a "le Capitaine" made by Danny Dyson, in the key of D. I'd like to get a Bb box sometime. I mention it here as another option for you, not saying that it's what you should get. Get all the information you can and make the decision you feel best with. If you want some more information about his box, feel free to e mail me. Best wishes & good luck. Tommee

price incrementalism

Mike;

Point #1. The $750 price in Detroit for an unknown manufacturer's 'house' brand is just short of the ~$900 for a quality hand built LA box from a guy like Danny Dyson and the le Capitaine brand.

Point #2. Think 'pawn shops.' Every pawn broker in LA has low-to-high quality used boxes for sale. Prices on my last visit for locally made boxes started at $350 for a 'beater' to $800 for a great second-hand box. Call around...

Point #3. eBay, yeah a risk--but Jim Pettijohn on this board has posted a couple of audio clips on a Chinese factory job that didn't sound bad. I think he also said it set him back about $160 plus shipping for a new box.

Point #4. Decide the maximum you can spend-- and don't let anything else confuse the spending plan by nudging your price higher. Avoid 'paralysis from analysis.' Do something...

Point #5... there ain't no point 5.

Peace,
Griff

Re: price incrementalism

Yeah...good post.
I have to put the breaks on sometimes. I wish I was in LA ...but thats not possible...
Its hard because you don't want to buy junk or something that will hold you back later...but you can nudge yourself up $100-$200 at a time till you're way higher than you ever intended on spending.

I learned from guitar..that you get what you pay for . But there are also guitar "geeks" that play $2,000 instrumentts that are only average players. You can always spend more money.
Wish gas wasn't so expensive right now.
Id drive around down there . Probobly be an interesting trip. I think its about 1,200 miles form me.
But at $320 a gallon...its not cheap to take road trips anymore

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!