Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Doc Romo - Sad to note

Doctor Romo, Accorion player & Band Leader was found to have a brain tumor and has undergone surgery in New York.

Roger Weiss, had sent me an email with the particulars back on the 18th of April and I just got around to reading it, as it was sent to my old email address and not the new one.

I met Doc some years back, as we both were doing the accordion lessons with Steve Riley for a week.
Doc Romo (as some may know) is a fine artist, taking his sound in the direction of a Texas/Louisiana Swing, while still rooted with Traditional and a bit of Zydeco.

Now, I watch folks (eagle eye)often times from the wings (sidelines) and study musicians, people and audience reaction ... Doc was/is like a magnet that I guaged to be something of a Fred Astaire when on the dance floor, that is, when not playing accordion and just having a fine time absorbing and lending energy to a crowd.

If you know Doc Romo (even if ya don't) please do me a favor. Take a moment, draw in a good breath and utter a few words of hope and kind thoughts for this accordion man in your own way. He is part of the community of what we are all about.

Doc, listen..if ya have a chance to read this or someone read it to ya... I believe I am a better man (inspired) due to the likes of you , I want you Well my friend... you do make a differance.

Nonc Dave Mason

Benefit Dance in NY for Doctor Romo

BENEFIT DANCE FOR DR. ROMO
TO HELP DEFRAY MEDICAL COSTS

SUNDAY MAY 7th 1:00PM-5:00PM
MARBLETOWN COMMUNITY CENTER
Stone Ridge, NY

$25 at the door

FOOD, DANCE, MUSIC, JAMMING, SILENT AUCTION

!:00
LUNCH SERVED
(including vegetarian entrees)

MUSIC AND DANCE PARTY WITH…

1:00
TOO MUCH FUN and SOUL PURPOSE
Soul, Motown and Rock and Roll
along with some of Romo's favorites

1:45
BIG JOE FITZ and the DISCIPLES
a soulful mix of Blues, Rhythm 'n Blues and Jazz
swing to their beat

2:30
JAY UNGAR and MOLLY MASON

3:15
CLEOMA'S GHOST and JESSE LEGE
Cajun dance music

4:00-5:00
JAM SESSION
bring your instruments

For more information contact Roger Weiss at info@cleomasghost.com
If you would like to make a donation and cannot make
it to the benefit make checks payable to Cleoma's Ghost
and send to PO Box 426, West Park, NY 12493

Thanks Roger

Doc's in my mind for all the best hopes and wishes, please let him know it Roger.

Also...Tell Jesse that I will never be as old as him, and never quite as ugly either!
He needs to come and get these dang dogs for that auction thing .. give em hell Roger.
I appreciate ya.

Check is in the mail.

Best..... Dave

Re: Benefit Dance in NY for Doctor Romo

Sorry to hear about that bad news Roger. My thoughts are with you. How bout tell Jesse I said hay.

jaytee

Kicking and playing in B Flat

Hey, Doctor Romo here:
I am totally overwhemed by the e mails, cards, letters, and calls I've received from friends, family, and people I don't even know. I guess I knew there was a lot of love out there but there is nothing like feeling it this strong. I am humbled and appreciate everyone's love and support. Thank you all so much.

Here is the deal up to the minute report. I was diagnosed with a brain tumor in Feb. 2006 and have undergone three surgeries. The tumor was removed but part of it was mixed in with healthy brain tissue. I found out today that I will have to have chemo therapy for one week every month for a year. But the good news is that there is a good chance that this will be effective. I'm not doing a Cajun two step yet, but I'm working on the Mamou waltz. By the way, the removal of the tumor left my right leg partally numb but I've been practicing the waltz nevertheless and if you don't look too closely, you just may think I'm doing my own version of the Mamou 2 step. Thanks to everyone for their love and support. Thank you Roger and Buffy for organizing the benefit. I am so touched by this. And yes, I am playing a few songs in B flat on the piano accordion only because I like those black keys. Hope to stay in touch and see everyone soon. Love to all: Romo (Doctor)

Re: Kicking and playing in B Flat

Doc... man I am sitting here ready to cry and thanking God for you posting this message.

Gonna be alright my friend, I believe that.
Good thoughts, and I am without many words at this moment. Stay strong.

Dave Mason

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!