Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Accordion

Do you know anything about a LaTosca Gretsch Emperia Accordion? I am unable to find any information about this accordion Logan logan1919@comcast.net

Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

La Louisianne Accordions are made by Ken Guillory. I've also seen a "Professional" made in Lake Charles by a Lejeune. It was marked "professional accordians" with the spelling "ian" rather than "ion". A friend of mine has a couple of "Legers", one a 9 button that sounds really sweet. Laten Millers "Cajun Classic" mentioned by Nonc is also a nicely made box. another friend of mine has one of these in "C" tuned very wet. I personally have a "C" Cajun Special made by Rudy Lejeune from Estherwood LA (same I-10 exit as Iota, where Larry Miller is). It has no markings on the reeds so I suspect they might be old Hohner reeds. Written in ball point pen on the reed blocks is "handmade by Rudy Lejeune in Estherwood La # 9 "C".
Maybe the #9 is how many boxes he had built up to that point but i don't know. It's the only one I've ever seen or heard of though.

Re: Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

I have an Anthony Falcon Bb box.. from 1988.. great playing, great sounding ( I have had several Acadians, Martins, a Falcon, a Larry Miller box ) and this one has a character all its own.. thumbs up.

Glenn

Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

Regardless of attitude, I guess the builder with the most experience building is Marc Savoy. He has been building since 1960.

Re: Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

It is suprising that after building accordions that long he has not made any signifagant improvments in his instruments. Perhaps It's because someone else does the work. MHO!!

Re: Re: Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

In Finland is one good cajunbox maker . Name is Jarkko Helin and he had C/Z band too. Band name is Crawfish Kings. Go and see : http://www.cajunmusic.dk/

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who are your favorite not-so-famous accordion makers? and other questions...

Hi guys. I have been reading the posts on this site for a few months now but I had to chime in on this one. I have a "Swallow" C accordion that Mr. Cecil just finished for me about a month ago. It is #25 (he has them numbered up to this point). He does a great job. I love mine. It is a natural curly maple with some darker shades blended and matched throughout the box. This is a very loud accordion and has a good sound (I have only been playing for a few months, so I can't be the best judge). I will be at the Balfa week if anyone wants to play on it. See you guys there

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!