Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Pigs Take A Stand!

Man, Big Nick, you are making me hungry! My girlfriend packed me a ham and cheese sammich today, and it just ain't cuttin' the mustard (literally!)

I got another place for you to try next time you are in St. Landry Parish... heck you've probably been there -- it's been around for decades... in Opelousas: The Palace Cafe (across from the courthouse and next to the Jim Bowie Oak.) You talk about fried chicken... best fried chicken I've ever had! Their plate specials are good and a great bargain, too. And their gumbos and crawfish bisque will take away any hangover you may have from drinking those leetle 10 oz. Budweisers the night before! The place is plain and simple with family portraits and crafty oil paintings adorning the walls. They still have a diner counter with the old stools and cakes and pies behind the counter reflected in angled mirrors. The waitresses (and cooks) have been there since my first visit there back in '93. Occasionally I've run into Hadley J. Castille in there who's always cordial and never short on spinning yarns of the Louisiana gospel and Cajun philosophy. The Palace is a step back in time, fer shure. Love it. Can't get enough of it.

Another great place in Opelousas is Ray's Diner. It's in an Exxon gas station... or maybe the gas station is part of Ray's -- heck, I dunno. But they've got one of my favorite shrimp gumbos and excellent boiled crawfish. It's just south of town on the back road to Washington.

Speaking of crawfish in Opelousas, there's an old Sonic restaurant (on the way to Ray's), which if memory serves me, is named, Crawfish Tyme or something like that. You can get a bag full of fresh spicy crawfish and drive next door to a shady park (I forget the park's name) and enjoy them. Don't forget the cooler... did I mention the cooler?! Don't forget it!!!

Bon ap!

RR

Re: Pigs Take A Stand!

Hey Ricky,

I know what you mean about the atmosphere. Believe me, I really wanted to the love the place. It's true that it's 100% unpretentious, unpolished Acadiana -- nothing like the stressful, pricey experience of having North Dallas waitresses rush past you while you stare at crab nets and quasi-Cajun novelties bolted to the wall. Not to bash Pappadeaux's and Razzoo's -- they're your best bet for Cajun in Dallas (do you remember place called Red's Cajun Queen? It was right off of Northwest Highway.)

But yeah, may I should stick to po-boys next time. The price is definitely right.

Nick B.

Re: Re: Pigs Take A Stand!

Shucks, Nick. It'a all good! I hear ya though... it's hard to find a meal that's less than satifying in Acadie, brutha! And when you do, it usually registers as a shock to the system! I wish I knew of other hole-in-the-walls in Ville Platte, but I don't. I betcha one of these Braves know one they could shed some light on. Pig Stand has always been a VP default, simply because of its close proximity to Floyd's.

After my cold ham and process cheese on two slices of white bread sandwich I just had for lunch today, I'd take dang near anything under par that came from the Golden Triangle!

BTW, your Doc Marshalls are way cool!

T-Rick

Re: Balfa 2006 Photographs

Hey Big nick! Nice Pics! The young guy in the first pic is Logan, and he is from Louisiana-don't know too much more but I think we will be hearing more from him! Nice to see you again at camp!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!