Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Louisiana movie...

Through a funny coincidence, I talked to actor Steven Segal -- sp? -- yesterday. He's in Osaka and coming up to Tokyo, and we'll probably do some guitar shopping. Regardless of your feelings about him or his movies, he told me he has spent the last bit of time scouting in Louisiana for his next movie. I think he chose the location so as to spread some $$$ around for extras, etc., since there has been so much difficulty since the hurricane.

I don't know the guy, never saw his movies, but he plays and collects guitars. I told him to buy an accordion. He says he likes Cajun music and Zydedco, but prefers the former...

Re: Louisiana movie...

Tell Mr. Segal to do a remake of Southern Comfort. He'd be perfect for the role of Rifleman Charles "Hardin." Nonc D can be "Spencer." Tell Mr. Segal I'll play the a-hole in the film -- "Stucky."

We'll get Aaron Chesson and Roger Weiss to be the boucherie dance band at the end.

Southern Comfort II ... this could be great.
RR

Re: Re: Louisiana movie...

hell yea i'll play on the movie

Surely no one really liked that movie.

Speaking of it though, I have always wondered about the guy playing with Mark Savoy and Dewey Balfa, I believe it was Frank Savoy. I havent heard of him any other place.

Re: Re: Re: Louisiana movie...

i loved southern comfort! its still a classic...havent seen it like since it came out though lol so i might change my mind after seeing it in my old age...

i see some hurricane katrina movies coming soon.....i'd really like to see a serious and well made movie about the acadian exile and the cajuns survived in a new land type stuff...

Southern Comfort Opinions?

I know I should just sit back and enjoy a movie without being critical of its lack of facts, but I cant help myself. As a fireman and former marine, every movie I see about either is hoaky and way too hollywoodish (except the first half of full metal jacket), facts only work in documentaries I guess.

Same with what I have seen of movies set in Louisiana. I just recently saw Southern Comfort and it kind of got under my skin. The reason I got it was to see why people were always asking me if all cajuns were like that. I have a feeling Dewey and Mark would not have done their cameo appearance if they had seen the final product first, they were the best part of the movie. The bad thing was, the movie came out at a time when few people outside of La knew anything about cajuns, so that was their measuring stick.

Some things were actually, I would think, correct. Most people (anywhere) stealing someones boat and shooting at them and otherwise tinkering with their homes and livelyhood stand a very good chance of being shot. But the underlying message left me a sick feeling. If you havent seen it in a long time, go get it and let me know what you think. If I had seen when I was young, I probably would have thought it was cool.

I am curious what people from outside of La think of the movie. Any opinions?

Re: Southern Comfort Opinions?

Southern Comfort is a movie I've watched, literally, a hundred times or more. It's the boucherie scene that I love the most -- and the fact that most of it was filmed on Pine Island on Caddo Lake in East TEXAS! Shhhh.... Caddo Lake is one of my favorite places to visit -- only 2 1/2 hrs from the DFW Monsterplex. I have a friend, a guy named David Applebaum, who is a guide on Caddo, and was part of the filming crew. David's golden retriever is seen barking and jumping around in the boucherie scene.

So naturally, I love the scenery in Southern Comfort. I agree with Bryan, there's little to analyze in fact. I do like the characters, Spencer, Hardin, Reese, Stucky, Cribs, Casper, and of course, The Trapper. I've been known to quote lines from the movie in casual settings, much to the chagrin of any woman I've ever dated! They just roll their eyes and shake their heads. BUT, I could be hung up on worse movies (and things) like some of my buds... when was the last time someone at a party started quoting dialogue from the frickin' Holy Grail. (Pleeeze, let's not go there, mk?!)

"All laid out for us -- Seven of 'em..."
"There were eight rabbits."
"Did we lose sumbuddy?"
"Just like a steel p***y"
"**** Reese, what kinda women you been hangin' out with?!"

RR

What little I saw of Southern Comfort reminded me of Deliverance. Neither one portrayed the residents as they really are. Well, maybe with the exception of the kid playing the fiddle on the porch. Kind of reminds me of someone I once saw in the Tampa area. Now the first half of Full Metal Jacket is in a different league. You ain't never been to hell until you graduate from PI or San Diego and know there ain't nothing on this earth worse or harder.
Once a Marine, ALWAYS a Marine. Or Once a Cajun, ALWAYS a Cajun.
Semper Fi!

Well, Southern Comfort was the first time ever I heard Cajun music, and it blew me away !

If the movie had not included the music, I may not be writing this :-)

I have always thought the movie beeing an awful B-movie, if it haven't been for the last ten minutes ( with the cajun music). I taped it from TV a couple of yeard ago, but I only saved the music part.

Regards
/Gunnar in Sweden

The best thing to come out of Southern Comfort

There's a Rolling Stone article on Ry Cooder from years ago in which Dewey Balfa said that after he lost his brothers Will and especially Rodney, he almost gave up music entirely. But when Ry Cooder, the musical director of the film, had him play in the movie, his spirit picked up and he continued to perform another dozen years. So, in a way, that film was important to the continuation of traditional Cajun music.

They don't often get Cajuns right in the movies. David Straithairn does a good accent in Passion Fish. And Adam Hebert is playing in the background of a Charles Bronson-James Coburn picture, Hard Times. I think there is a Nathan Abshire song in the Paul Newman movie The Drowning Pool.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Louisiana movie...

This should start you on the right foot: NFB, National Film Board of Canada. when you do a search on their site, type in "Acadian exile",as they have 2 long documentaries on the subject.
Then there is the CBC. witch is the Canadian Broadcasting tv in Canada and witch has done "many" documentaries on the subject.
Enjoy your search, at lest this is a good start I hope.

Claude.

Re: Louisiana movie...

IF you are looking for good cajun music in a movie, get BELIZAIRE THE CAJUN, good stuff

I have never seen that movie, I need to.

J'été Au Bal has some good music also.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!