Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
thanks chad

yea thats what i am referring to

Re: Re: Re: accordian players or there music?

Aaron,

your'e somewhat correct, I was in part, being facetious .

Claude.

Re: accordian players or there music?

Hey Aaron, I think you ought to post your bands schedule on here, where you're going to be and when so everyone can go check yall out.... I think you said yall were back in Hackberry next weekend right? wish I was off...

Re: accordian players or there music? The book of Aaron

Nah Aaron, no book necessary (as such), although I believe I have gained enough material for a couple of them here lately... which I may pursue (as was suggested by others).

So what can I do??
Well, I can give you some of the keys to hitting your success, off line (could have a couple yrs back when you were grasping)... so I suppose you can email me (like you've done before) if it's that important.

But ya need to know, I don't care to get caught up in someone that can't/won't listen to reason, no matter how good they play. I think you very well know that about me. You also know, that I have turned down and turned away from some (including you) and others (that were pretty well recorded, fine musicians), such that it could fill another book. Why? That was my call and for my reasons (it's not an issue).

I hope good things for you Aaron. Musically, you are in the right groove, but there is far more than just the music that spells a successful musician. You can scratch for all the re-enforcement you wish, and, you will get a bunch of folks that will tell ya what you want to hear (some that have never tasted or seen what your looking for musically) .... Of those, I just doubt that there are many that have ever made any success of the music through themselves or for others. But you can believe, that there are some very successful musicians that are reading, they just have not commented and written on board to tell it like it is, for what you are seeking. There's your book bud, what ya do with it is on you.

Best of luck Aaron.

Nonc Dave

Re: Re: accordian players or there music? The book of Aaron

and, reading some of the above, and being a bit naive in the ivory tower, and acknowledging life, making a living, and that a bad reputation is better than no reputation -- when you are in show business, I will still throw out the names of Balfa, Clark, LeJeune, and I'm sure NoncD could add a thousand more or so in his accumulated wisdom, of people who played and didn't give in -- so far as I know -- to the pressures or temptations to change the essence of who they were to pursue fame. Maybe in the right place at the right time but, in their cases, I don't think it would have mattered. I think of Aaron as cajun first, musician second. Without doubt Michael Jackson, the Rolling Stones and others are huge, but I certainly wouldn't want to exchange the type of person I am, with the type of person I consider them to be - but that's all personal choice, eh.

Re: accordian players or there music?

I have been reading and reflecting and not saying anything. This is the first time I have felt right about commenting. I comment, Aaron, because you asked for opinions. This is mine. This is only my opinion. Hope I don't sound too 'preachy'--I always get accused of that. I don't say that I have it all figured out; I learn something new everyday...sometimes what I learn is that I've got a lot of learning left to do.

I think the whole person (both on and off-stage)matters a lot, especially in folk music like Cajun music. To me there are PLENTY of good accordion players out there (go shake a tree). Here's an example; I am not describing you, this is just an example becasue you asked. I am not going to "waste my time" to go see one who doesn't show up on time, takes the audience and/or dancers for granted, and who thinks that the whole show is about promoting himself. The personality of the players and the band make a huge difference in how the public treats the band.

I remember when Paul Daigle started with Cajun Gold and he was definitely the hottest thing out there in traditional Cajun music. Some people criticized that the band was too "big headed" because they refused to play anything but their own music that they had recorded. Right or wrong, there was a public perception that began to grow--the band was 'stuck up' or too 'big headed' I can't tell you how many times I heard that. I never personally experienced that from Paul or anyone else in that band--but that became the gossip. Right or wrong, the crowds started to die down a bit.

We have all heard about Wayne Toups battles with drugs and I think it has definitely impacted him in the long run. Both his reputation and his health. The list goes on and on.

I do not go to a dance to find out about a person's family or personal life. BUT that kind of stuff does have a tendency to get out there and follow a person around and it can and will affect a person music career in the long run, especially in Cajun music. This ain't Hollywood, you know.

SO...
People matter. And they way a person treats others matters. And in a music circle that is very "people" and "family oriented" I really do think that a person's reputation matters. Maybe if you had a huge hit like "My Tout Tout" that makes you rich then perhaps a person could afford a more "dramatic" off-stage life and it really wouldn't matter or affect your success. But the Cajun music world is really rather small, I'm afraid. It ain't just about the music. People matter.

Re: Re: accordian players or there music?

Cris has the best words concerning the whole thing. take heed of those and keep on playing! Keep the trash down if you can. He is right about cajun music being a family thing.

having the time of my life...

Aaron;

This is NOT directed at you. However, you did open the door by asking a question that burns inside me every day. That question being, am I being the steward of the gifts that I have given?

We have all heard someone say that , perhaps have even said it ourselves: "I am just having the time of my life!"

There are two 'things' issued to us at the start of our lives. We don't know how much we have of the one and we are reponsible for building and protecting the other..

The first is time... none of us knows how much we were issued.

The second is reputation..."son, your first name you can smear all you want, but your last name was my father's. You have no right to smear my dad's name."

So... the thing that I have never understood:

Why does anyone wnat to waste their time and ruin their reputation?

And why would I ever want to applaud a bad act?

Yes, it is the whole deal... Chris got it right...people.

Peace,
Griff

Re: having the time of my life...

Well said Crhris and Griff,

However, the Industry as a whole, has a bad habit of swallowing it,s little ones long and hard.
If Aaron at his age doesn't know right and wrong, well he's got a problem, and again maybe not as Americans it seems, are very forgiving of their idols faults.
Chris has some very good points based on his musician experiences, and Griff his life ones.
BUT, I'm sterting to believe that we are giving too much attention to a problem, witch might not really exist, except perhaps one aspect of it, that I will call grand standing or deception.
More and more I get the amusing feeling that Aaron doesn't need anyone's help and has enlisted a series of aliases to perpetuate a young men's growing up problems.
I'm starting to think that Aaron Chesson is laughing hard at us.

I stand to be corrected.

Claude.

Re: Re: having the time of my life...

Claude,
Not in any way meaning to sound rude but I can promise you one thing. Aaron Chesson is not making up numerous names on here to draw attention. "MOM" is his mother. Aaron simply asked if people go to see the performer for their music or their life drama because he doesnt want it affecting how people view him in cajun music. He is not a fame seeker. He never wanted any of his family problems even to come to light on this board or anywhere else. They should stay PRIVATE and in the family but his mother has very different ideas on that. She is the one that has brought about all the family issues to the chat board. NOT AARON. He does care deeply about his reputation and it getting smeared due to the fact his mother cant keep their personal family issues out of public eye. She does this because she is mad and desperately trying to "draw him out" to talk to her and confront her. He does not want to for many many soild reasons that should NOT be posted here. But... she seems to keep the posts going by posting very personal matters (some which are very very untrue) on here just to hurt his public reputation. Aaron plays his music from the heart. He does not do it for fame. He does not do it for the money. He does it because it is what is in his heart and what he loves. On the other hand he also doesnt want people that do not even know him in person forming false opinions of him before they even get the chance to hear what a great musician and entertainer he is. He loves to play and thrives on seeing people enjoy themselves when he is playing as much as he enjoys himself while playing. (ha i hope that made sense).
So, no Aaron is NOT making up numerous fake names on here to draw attention to himself. That would be a foolish thing to do. Besides, his mother is the one famous for making fake names to start trouble. Not him. I do hope I did not offend you or anyone else. It was not my intention. I just want the drama to stop.. on here and in his personal life. Please, get to know Aaron and or his music before forming any sort of opinions about him based on words from an angry mother that is going to desperate measures to make him speak to her.

(If any of you actually took the time to go way back in time on here and see numerous posts from "jessica, Number1fan, Redjelloshots, Evelina, Evelyn,"MOM"...and a few others...they are ALL HIS MOTHER posing under fake names to stir up trouble. She has been caught and busted numerous times already. I know none of this matters but it does show that Aaron is not the one that keeps family and personal issues in the public light. He just wants to play his music and share his talent with others.)

Im sure his "MOM" will come back on this with more insults, false accusations, lies and rants but thats ok...its expected from her.

Billi

Re: Re: Re: having the time of my life...

Whooo Weeee Maybe we better just let a sleeping dog lay.

By the way someone told me that Chinese accordions sound better and play better than Louisian accordions.

Re: Re: Re: Re: having the time of my life...

Yea Right!!!

tee joe

nah, once they rattle the dogs cage he doesnt just lay for a while lol

Re: tee joe

Well you just have to let it go my man. Don't believe that bull crap about a bad reputation being better than none at all. It'll catch up to you one day when it means the most. Good Luck!

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!