Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Does anyone know anything about this Yingjie brand for $150?

it;s not gonna be great
playable

key is gcf

shipping is $50

none of these cheap accordions will have any
1. bass or
2. volume

wle.

Re: Re: Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

I agree with Larry -- if you're looking into learning zydeco, an F/Bb/Eb triple row would jumpstart your repertoire. That said, Corey Ledet has a new instructional video out that has an option to review the audio in either F/Bb/Eb or G/C/F. A very cool feature indeed. Corey's video is available now through many retailers, but I got mine from the source: Wilson Savoy at http://www.almenapictures.com/

Bon chance!

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

F,Bb,Eb is the choice for a first Zydeco box IMHO. EAD is also a good choice because you get the key of E certainly on the middle row pull as well as B and D for Motor Dude Special instead of Eb. That being said, GCF is also very popular. You might try Castiglione in Detroit. They have an extensive web site with many used boxes. I picked up an as new GCF there a couple of years ago. If money is an issue, I have seen pictures of Roland Ledet playing a Panther that is internally miced so you know that it works for Zydeco. As far as instructional material, there is virtually none for Zydeco. The only recent exceptions are Wilson Savoy's DVD's that are brand new. Cory Ledet's is a must have. Once you get his version of Zydeco Bogaloo down in C (FBE) you will learn how to cross the rows to play all kinds of songs and licks. Likewise his version of Bye Bye Catan (AKA Motor Dude Special). I would also get Wilson's Horace Trahan DVD. It is much too short, BUT it has a great version of Zydeco A pas Sale that Horace plays on an FBE box in Ab that is worth the price of admission. Hope this helps.

Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

I bought a Panther under the same circumstances and questions. Playing the triple row for me is quite different than a single row. Google Senor Maestro. This is a useful program for learning scales, cords, etc. on the 3 row. It is set up for Tejano/Tex-Mex, but it's all good. If I ever learn to play, I have my eye on a Baffetti.
Craig

How do we get a Panther in F/Bb/Eb?

Wow, there's lots of brain power and insight on this site. Thanks everyone for your two cents' worth. It seems that the Panther is the way to go, but in F/Bb/Eb. I think this would be a good compliment to my existing Acadian & Bon Cajun in C and D.
Although it seems the Panther only come in key of GCF, a few mentioned that it was available in F/Bb/Eb. What's the best way to get that?
Merci beaucoup à tous!

Re: How do we get a Panther in F/Bb/Eb?

i said it, but i don;t really know
may just be a rumor
source may have been talking about chinese
corona II, now that i think about it
they are only about $700

wle.

Re: How do we get a Panther in F/Bb/Eb?

All the advice included should help you make a decision but personally I think you would do better with a FA#D# accordion. This would be much better for Zydeco and blues.

Re: Re: How do we get a Panther in F/Bb/Eb?

i know that;s supposed to be cute,
but there is actually a reason why
Bb and Eb 'go with' F, and
A# and D# do not

and there is yet another reason
why, technically, Bb is not the same as A#,
neither is Eb the same thing as D#.

and it;s even more true for diatonic
instruments, than say for the piano,
where they have to compromise and
jam them together on the same key.

wle.

Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

Glenn is absolutely correct. 3 reeds or more per note delivers the punch needed for zydeco. I bought the Panther because of a great deal. I will learn on this and add another box to the collection at a later date.
Craig

Re: Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

I placed an e-mail to Tina at Savoy Music Center. We'll see soon if we can get a Panther in FBbEb. They carry the Panther there at $365.

Re: Re: Re: What do you think of the Hohner Panther GCF for Zydeco & Blues?

Saw T. Broussard last night. He is playing a GCF Panther with an internal mic. If you closed your eyes you would think it was a 3 or 4 reed Gab, Baffetti etc. He had a killer sound system that he ran it through but to answer everyone'e concern, if you can play, the Panther will do the job. JMHO.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!