Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Occasional lagniappe

The Louisiana State Police received reports of illegal cockfights being held around the outskirts of Mamou, and sent their best Cajun detective to investigate.

He reported back to his sergeant the next morning. "Dey is tree main groups in dis rooster fightin'" he began.

"Good work. Who are they?" the sergeant asked.

He replied confidently, "de Texas Aggies, de Cajuns, and de Mafia."

Puzzled, the sergeant asked, "How did you find that out in one night?"

"Well," he responded, "I went down and done seen dat rooster fight in person. I knowed dem Aggies was involved when a duck was entered in the fight."

The sergeant nodded, "I'll buy that. But what about the others?"

The detective nodded knowingly, "Well, I knowed de Cajuns was involved when summbody bet on de duck."

"Ah," sighed the sergeant, "And how did you figure the Mafia was involved?"
"De duck won."

Re: Occasional lagniappe

Cockfighting in Louisiana is as close as it has ever been to being banned as I write this. It is a 212 million dollar industry in Louisiana. Some say it is cruel and barbaric, I say it is not. They are fighting roosters, that is what their instinct is, to fight. you want to know what cruel and barbaric is, see a beautiful thoroughbred horse at full stride, fall and shatter a leg. Cockfighting is a part of cajun heritage as much as the accordion is. You wanna ban cockfighting? then ban horse racing too.

Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

Cock fighting is barbaric and should have been stopped years ago. It just ain't much of a tradition. I never even heard of it while growing up in the heart of Cajun country.

Re: Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

where exactly did you grow up cid? chicken fights are all over in cajun country you must of had your eyes closed......barbaric? well so is feasting on their flesh and slaughtering them by the millions everyday so you can have fried chicken or to put in your gumbo...ever seen what goes on in a chicken processing plant?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

Oh boy, I dint know dis was gonna start a animal rights discussion. Sorry 'bout dat, Braves.

It's just a joke, and a funny one at that. I think.

Cockfighting is a celebrated part of Cajun culture, as much as bullfighting is in Spain and Mexico. Personally, I don't have a problem with either, especially since I enjoy eating poultry and beef, let alone anything else that tastes good (including things that grow in the ground). I know what goes on at the packing plants is not pretty, but it is life my friends. First goes cockfighting and then what? Boucheries? Oh lawdy. Let's not invite the authorities in to shut down another tradition because the USDA doesn't approve of the handling or animal rights.orgs don't celebrate life like other cultures. Shhhh... don't mention crawfish boils... oh lawd.

Beam me up, Scotty...

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

sorry ..i just cant see how people can call something barbaric then go eat one lol...btw..i love chicken fights and just ate some baked :P...only people that can say things about chicken fights are vegan's in my book....i think i'm gonna start my own chapter of PETA...but with a twist...People Eating Tasty Animals

Re: Occasional lagniappe

Long live rooster fighting in Cajun Country! As for the yearly boucherie in St. Martinville, P.I.T.A. is starting to make waves. ( people for the ethical treatment of animals ) Ah the good ole days. I remember grandpa butchering a hog and firing up a huge black pot of cracklins. With a yard full of grandkids, I would whisper in his ear, and he would pass me the tail cracklin when no one was looking. Best cracklin ever. Then I would have to go hide to eat it. LOL Marc Savoy has a video at his accordion shop showing an old fashion boucherie at his family reunion.

Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe - PETA

People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals??????

I thought PETA stood for People Eating Tasty Animals!

Oh man, now I'm going to have to cancel my menbership

Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

Like the saying goes, we didnt spend thousands of years working our way up the food chain to not eat meat. I think PETA members were just cheated out of eating good food in their childhood and it has affected their rationality.

I have fond memories of the boucheries (especially the gratons) as well, too bad they, like many things, have faded. But, as my dad said, I always got to do the fun stuff, and dont remember the hard work as much as he does. Even then, I think I have talked (tricked?)him into trying one this fall, even got my grandfathers ancient graton pot seasoned and ready to go. Le temp me dure pour ça!!

Re:: Occasional lagniappe

I don't feel tricked at all. The way I look at it now, is that the only work I'll have will be directing a half dozen, or so, young unsuspecting guys to do all the work, and I'll be sitting back in my chair and drinking beer and eating (and complain about sloppy service). It should be interesting, and fun. This, I think, may be a pilot for a bigger one later, and then, maybe, a yearly affair. Think we should invite PETA?

Dowell

Re: Re:: Occasional lagniappe

We'll need a bigger pot to fit them in.

Re: Re: Re:: Occasional lagniappe

Genius!

RR

Re: Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

My daughter, 18 now, is a vegan. Used to take her to festivals, camp out, etc. When shw was about seven, we split a pound of bacon for breakfast, and used the grease to make french toast. She loved it, so I don't know where I went wrong. Oh yeah, that was the same year she saw her first zydeco band and asked me who was playing the chest piano. Oh, the good old days
Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Occasional lagniappe

I've heard accordions referred to as "chest organs." I usually reply, "Whu? My heart? eEh?!"

Steve, you done just fine raising your daughter. I remember when I was 18, (circa 1982) I was Mr. Art-school-graphicdesigner-reggae-newwavepunkrocker and by golly I thought the world was all wrong. So I rebelled. I got my left ear pierced and wore a little gold stud. That'll show the world!

Same goes for vegetarians/vegans. It's a way to rebel and stand out from the NORM. In addition, most vegetarians either adopt the "goth" look, or the "hippie/rasta/granola" look, to further their "rebelation."

Very few of 'em do it for the "health" benefit. Seriously. It may sound like a GREAT colon-cleansing idea! But honestly, most of my vegetarian friends need to drop some pounds. They aren't vegans, mind you. They are cheese-loving, chocolate eating, bread, butter and egg frying "vegetarians." I love vegetarian cuisine, tempeh and tofu tastes great, but I gotta balance that with some real protein fortified critters. And that's just the whole thing, really. Plain and simple, veg-people put animals above themselves and any other humans.

Going down this path makes you spend a lot of time blocking grocery store aisles reading ingredient panels and driving restaurant waitstaff bonkers with detailed questions about "do you use lard? Is there chicken stock in this rice?" And sending back lots of entrees because there was an errant bacon bit on the salad or the scrambled eggs were cooked too close to the sausage.

I'm heading home to cook me up a garden burger piled high with maple-smoked bacon.

RR

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!