Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Amana

Regarding Dennis Stroughmatt, Dan Willging has a fine article about Dennis in the latest issue of Dirty Linen magazine. The only problem is that the Dennis Stroughmatt that I saw in Catonsville, Maryland a couple of weeks ago is not the same person that Dan wrote about in the article.

I have seen him play a number of times and have always been impressed with him, particularly when he played with Morris Ardoin and Dexter, he was a fine fiddle player.

At Catonsville, however, he had become some sort of hybrid musician with no sense of timing and backed by a mediocre band at best. Now Morris always says, "We don't play Zydeco music." Well, with Dennis seemed to have discovered his own brand of Zydeco music and forgotten Cajun and authentic Creole music. It seemed that something had happened to him, and it was not good!

The best conclusions that I could come up with are that you need both accordion and fiddle to play authentic Cajun and Creole music. When the same person tries to play both instruments, something is always missing. And when the rest of the band seems to have little idea about how either type of music is supposed to be played, the result is awful.

Jack Bond

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!