Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: comparing Master to Martin...

David,

Don't know if this applies in this situation, but I know that Mr. Charlie always let his ear be the final guide on the tuning. He used a strobe tuner and a chromatic 'needle' type tuner, but he never just trusted the machine. He would adjust until it sounded right.

One thing I have noticed is that a reed responds differently if it is tuned "in the accordion" with all the stops open than if the reed is removed and placed on a small tuning block. Air pressure and all, I would suppose. I notice that Randy Falcon tunes his reeds based on a very strong compression of the bellow. It seems like some of his accordions sound sharp when played with a lighter/softer compression. When you bear down, though, then the pitch is in tune.

I have had studio engineers comment that my Master sounds more in tune than many of the other accordions that they have heard. You are right in that tuning is not only a science...but there is a bit of an art to it...and a person's ear has to be the final judge.

I have heard many in tune Martins, however. I know some people like a wet tuning and actually request it, but I have heard many dry Martins.

Re: Re: comparing Master to Martin...

Chris,
Well said.

David,
About the wet tuning. Jr usually tunes them dry unless specified wet.At least, that was the case 2yrs ago when I purchased mine. It is always better to speak with Jr as opposed to writing. I would suggest calling him. I would be surprised if he wouldn't take care of you.

I just had mine wet tuned slightly. I think the term is nickel or 5 cent wet tuned as opposed to full wet.

Loud accordions, I find Larry Miller's accordions to be much louder than any other brand.

My 2 cents worth.

Kirk Menier

Re: comparing Master to Martin...

Hey Kirk,
I own both, Martin and Master. My Master is a dry tune in D and my Martin is also a D with a wet tunning. Any difference? One difference I have notice is that the fingerboard on my Master is slighty shorter in length. It seems like my fingers are curl more when I play my Master. Both good instruments, I love playing them both. When I put them side to side, I do not see any other difference in appearance. The Martin has a thicker varnish coating is about the only other difference I can see. Sound wise, they both rock, in my own words.
Later gater
Mark S

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!