Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tuning questions

Looking at something David Sousa said in an earlier post brings up a question. Im VERY new to the accordion world and trying to learn. What is the difference between wet tuning and dry tuning? What is preferred and why? Also for someone thinking of getting his first accordion to learn on, what key would you suggest? thanks

Re: tuning questions

dry has little or no tremolo. favored by traditional Cajun players. Wet is fuller (almost flanged) with enharmonics closer to what a piano accordion sounds like. Zydeco players tend to prefer wet tuning. It seems to mix better with a modern electric band. You can get an accordion tuned somewhere in the middle. Many players do.
Accordion training material usually features C boxes.
That and your vocal range, if you sing, may be a factor when chosing your first accordion. If you decide to stick with accordion playing, you'll end up with more than one box and more than one key any way.
All the best.

Re: Re: tuning questions

I want to make one remark for the Cajun style.
The tuning have to be with no tremolo, but very dry.
Some reeds (on a c-accordeon the B and the E) need to be tuned a litlle bit lower than standard tuning.

Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

Further, on a c-accordion the F's are tuned sharper.

Re: Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

I have read about the F.
But also that some think that it doesn't have too.
On my accordeons(C and D) omly the B and the E are "out of tune", but it have to for Cajun.
On the D other notes are lower tuned, but the reeds under the same buttons.
Is it really necesserry to sharpen the F a little?
How much it have to be?
Does it change the sound very much?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

Some builders sharp the F very slightly and others leave it standard. In early days of Louisiana builders and tuners it was a common practice to raise (sharp) the F (4 pull) until it was perfectly in tune with the A (5 pull). I find that the practice is not as widespread possibly because there is a bigger variety of performance keys (F for example) and a bigger variety of instruments that the accordion has to 'agree' with--chromatically tuned steel guitars and pianos. The players of the other instruments starting complaining about the F note sounding out-of-tune and being hard to play with so many modern builders/tuners no longer tune the F slightly sharp. Check with the builder if you are unsure...they can tune it either way.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: tuning questions

Thanks for the information.
When we started to play Cajun, one of the members of my former band always complaning about the bass-side of the accordion.
Now we play traditional cajun with only guitar, fiddle, tit fer and accordion.
Is it better to tune the F higher now to get a traditional sound?

Re: tuning questions

Thanks Jean...I appreciate it

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!