Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What's your favorite version of Jolie Blonde?

Over the past few days, I've been working on learning Jolie Blonde from Steve Riley's new DVD - quite a contract! I'm getting there, but man it's a tough one! Unfortunately, I don't that song on any of my 15+ CDs as a frame of reference.
What do you think is the best version to get if I'm to purchase a CD?
Maz

Re: What's your favorite version of Jolie Blonde?

Nathan Abshire's "New Jolie Blonde" and "Jolie 'tite Blonde". Basically the same tune.

Re: Re: What's your favorite version of Jolie Blonde?

I concur with Jean-Pierre. Nice acoustical recordings and Nathan's approach is simple with a few unusual elements in his playing that set Nathan apart (and above) any other version. His vocals on the two aforementioned tracks are definitive and best suited for this tune.

Rick

Return to the source...

Maz;

The Abshire versions are good... as are those by Beausoleil, H. Choates and others.

However, the original flavor of the tune comes through on a cut from 'Evangeline Made' played by Jimmy Breaux.

Awesome... and considering that Mr. Jimmy is a direct descendant of Amede Breaux who did the original recording, well you know he is playing it 'right.'

Peace,
Griff

Re: Return to the source...

http://npmusic.org/Amedee_Breaux_Jolie_Blonde.mp3
(Amede Breaux's version from the early 50s)

I was trying to find a Swallow cd, Les Sacalaits sont Pas Sale at Floyd's Record Shop but didn't find it. Maybe on Amazon or CD universe. This one has a live version with Robert Jardell, Dewey Balfa and D.L. Menard, Robert on vocal. A good CD of a live concert.

Re: Re: Return to the source...

That is a nice version Neal. Thanks. I wonder what key he's in. Not C for sure.

Re: Re: Return to the source...

I have never seen "Les Sacalaits Sont Pas Salé" in cd. I have the cassette and it doesnt have Jolie Blonde on it. Oh well, there is another one to try to add to the collection. Neal, if you find it, please let me know where.

I have a great version of Jolie Blonde done at a live concert in NY city by the Balfa Bros with Nonc Allie. I got the cd at Cracker Barrel restaurant and that is the only place I have seen it. I give it a good "frisson" factor.

Re: Return to the source...

I share Griff's opinion. And besides Jimmy Breaux'playing there's the superb voice of Maria McKee.

Christian

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Maz;

The Abshire versions are good... as are those by Beausoleil, H. Choates and others.

However, the original flavor of the tune comes through on a cut from 'Evangeline Made' played by Jimmy Breaux.

Awesome... and considering that Mr. Jimmy is a direct descendant of Amede Breaux who did the original recording, well you know he is playing it 'right.'

Peace,
Griff

Re: What's your favorite version of Jolie Blonde?

Another version I came across a while back is one by Clifton Chenier and Rod Bernard together, sung in french by Clifton and in english by Rod, with an interesting twist to both the lyrics and music. Though I am always skeptical of major changes to old favorites, I personally like this one.

Bryan Lafleur

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!