Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OT-slightly

Hey everyone,
I apologize for posting this on here but I'm really at a loss about how to deal with a situation concerning one of my best friends. She's probably one of the most talented and hard working musicians I have ever met. She just recently graduated from Loyola in New Orleans and plays with the LPO and a few other groups around town. She got accepted into Juilliard (she plays the bassoon btw). The only problem is that she doesn't actually own her own bassoon. Because even the student version cost so much the school actually has one that they loan out to the student while they’re enrolled there. I remember the first time I asked her how much a professional quality bassoon cost and how I felt like I had just been hit with a 2x4. I had no idea a really good bassoon cost around 24 to 26 thousand dollars, and here I am complaining about a 1500 dollar accordion . I know she can't afford something like that because she's actually an international student and taking out a loan in her country for 26,000 American dollars would never happen. I guess my question to you guys is: are there any programs or organizations out there that have benefactors willing to help put forward some of the cost associated with buying instruments? I apologize for posting this on here but I'm completely out of ideas on how to help her. If any of you have any ideas please just email me privately.

John

Re: OT-slightly

John

I know nothing about bassoons, However a friend workls in a music store in Ashland Oregon and the have a German made Moennig all wood bassoon for sale
for $2395

My friend Don is an Australian ad a 30 year veteran of reed instrument design and fabrication.. he knows his stuff...

I do not k now the quality level of the instrument or
what you friend is looking for.. and I have NO financial or other interest in the store or with DOn

Just odd to know there is someone looking for a basson and I accidently ran across one

YMMV trust your own judgment make your own decisions etc...

Cripple Creek Music
541- 482-9141

Re: Re: OT-slightly

Tipatina's Foundation was originally founded to help music students in New Orleans, and is now engaged in finding instruments for working musicians who lost their tools in the hurricanes.

Maybe with El Jefe's affordable basoon and Tip's something could be made to happen?

http://www.tipitinasfoundation.org/

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!