Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Accordion makers in the Mid west.

Hey now...
Isn't Baldoni in Wisconsin? :)

Long time maker of high quality accordions.
(including 3 row boxes)

DP

Re: Accordion makers in the Mid west.

Pretty sure Baldoni has major Italian maker building for him, so are imported with name engraved.

G.

No accordion makers in the Mid west, or anywhere else in the US, except LA.

My understanding is that there are no manufacturers of accordions anywhere in the US at all, except for those few builders who make Cajun accordions.

It is also my understanding that this has been true for many decades, if there were ever any at all.

-David

Re: No accordion makers in the Mid west, or anywhere else in the US, except LA.

Both CHicago and San Francisco were major accordion building centers... My former tuner (rip) began building accordions in Castelfidardo mwhen he was 14 following in the footsteps of his father. They relocated to Chicago and built accordions there for a few dedcades..
Also consider that there were about a dozen or so Chemnitzer accordion/konzertina makers in the midwest
I believe only one or two left.

Petosa in Seattle is the closest to an accordion maker left.. they have components made for them in Italy and "assemble" custom accordions there.

Baldoni in the states does not make accordions. They import.

In North America.. that leaves the Cajun builders and the Quebec builders. And that is good.

ej

Re: Re: No accordion makers in the Mid west, or anywhere else in the US, except LA.

.. yep... China is the accordion captial of the world.. in terms of numbers of players and producers, sub-jobbers etc. Italy still doing quality production line boxes.. along with the odd one-off limited edition French, Belgian, Irish builder.

I saw Hohners being built in Italy.. at a major producer.. ( a quality line.. not the Chinese lines like the Coronas, Panthers etc. ).

Cajun and Quebec are like Jefe says are the only builders left.. with perhaps ONE Chemnitzer builder still operating .

G:

Re: Re: Re: Guerrini vs Castiglioni

Castiglione is located in Warren Mi. and has a pretty extensive used accordion inventory including 3 rows.

Re: Guerrini Accordions compared to Baffetti or Gabbie?

larry miller of BON CAJUN accordions was looking for a buyer for his business a while back. Don't know if he had any luck. Any takers out there? Give him a call. July 7th is supposed to be his swan song (retirement)

Re: Re: Guerrini Accordions compared to Baffetti or Gabbie?

One builder in Quebec is Marcel Messervier, in Montmagny QC. He builds diatonics similar to the Cajun accordions, only the stops work differently, i.e. push them down to open the reeds, pull them up to shut them off. I stopped in his shop in "98 and heard him play, great sounding accordions, more expensive than the Cajun ones, but well built.

Re: Re: Re: Guerrini Accordions compared to Baffetti or Gabbie?

Messervier is the grand Master of accordeon making in Quebec. His boxes are "similar" to Cajun boxes in that they are
single row, with bellows and buttons.. but from there on.. different. Much different.
While I have only played one.. very very different.

Savoy's boxes improved after he saw one many years ago

Messervier also makes boxes with dummy stops, 2 stops on 4 reed boxes. and he has been known to make 2 2 row boxes. He also makes a smaller 2 reed 10 button box.

His boxes are known and bought for players who play for dances.. loud and driving.
He also is one of the organizers of the Carrefour Mondial in Montmagny.. an annual accordion bash of international fame. He organized this with another accordion builder, Reynald Ouellet (sp) He and his partenr Vezina make the Melodie brand..very refined
I believe one poster here has 2 of them
I have only played 3 of these.. the standard of workmanship is quite high..fast amnd light and lots of little mechanical tricks...
long time to get and expensive.

Old school would be Breton... larger than a Cajun box...lots of "soul" entirely handbuilt right down to the bellows which he makes on his kitchen table..
mine was #31 in 25 years of building..

And you are right about the stops.. on some of these boxes.. reversed.. just like Regal,or Gallotta

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!