Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Forum Guidelines

There aren't ANY enforced guidelines on this forum. It's my sincere belief that I should NOT have to play the role of the Cyber-Police.

Basically I would hope that each person who posts here would observe the Golden Rule ~ "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." No out and out slander, please. Also respect each person's right to have differing opinions.

"Occasional Lagniappe" is a VERY broad term ~ the exception being outright solicitations and ads for items TOTALLY unrelated to Louisiana, music, accordions or Cajun/Creole culture. THOSE get deleted in a heartbeat.

Seems a very appropriate topic to me.

Your topic seems very appropos for this forum - I don't think anyone could possibly object.

I can't offer any comparison opinions because I have never played a Falcon. I do own two Acadians and have been quite satisfied with them. In fact, one of the Acadians was purchased from someone who was mentioned it was for sale right here on this site (or, possbily the predecessor of this site...). I was very glad to have found out about it here.

-David

Re: invitation to compare

2- ACADIANS, 1- POINTE NOIR, & 1- BON CAJUN here. No complaints. You buy Picasso, you get Picasso, works of art. No chance to try a FALCON yet.

Re: Re: invitation to compare

What you need to remenber is that if you choose a Falcon in 2 keys it is essentually a 3 reed accordion. Now there are 3 reed 3 row accordions and 3 reed piano accordions etc but You will not get that full sound from a 3 reed instrument as you would from a 4 reed accordion which is what your typical cajun accordion is. However if that does not bother you then consider the Falcon. It seems that they are both good. I personally would prefer to have 2 - 4 reed accordions in different keys.

Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

I don't own any Savoy boxes, but I do own one Martin 4-stop and four Falcons -- one 4-stop and three dual-keys. I'll tell you this... the 4-stop Falcon is my favorite box (Bb). It was the first accordion I bought back in '93. It's solid, durable, with quick action and powerful. I had Jr. Martin tune it and install an internal mic in it, simply for the fact that I like the way Jr. tunes -- and he is "da man" when it comes to internal mics.

I like my Martin accordion second, only because the fingerboard is rounded and the bass box side has a smaller grip. Otherwise, the Martin 4-stop and the Falcon 4-stop are comparable. I would imagine the Acadian is just as "Picasso" as these two builder's boxes.

The Falcon dual-keys are really VERY cool boxes as well. You can imagine the convenience of having two accordions in one. However, the sound isn't quite as punchy (25% less overall), the extra weight of the reeds make it only somewhat cumbersome, and it is impossible to "correctly" mic it internally (position the mic) due to the lack of room on the inside -- cuz all the reeds. That's why most dual-key players use the external gooseneck mic'ing. Even that has it's drawbacks as the valves on the dual-keys are about 3/4" longer than a standard 4-stop, making mic placement slightly further away from the "sound." That said, Wayne Toups never had a problem making a Falcon dual-key look easy as pie to play, and sound like any 4-stop, IMHO. Plus, the way Wayne would modulate keys in songs (picking up another accordion and wailing into another key) sparked Randy Falcon's idea of building the dual-key. Wayne Toups is the reason he invented the dual-key in the first place.

Now... back to the 4-stop...

...I'd be hard-pressed to choose any other accordion other than a Falcon 4-stop. If you're serious about your equipment, it's well worth the extra money.

~ Rick

Re: invitation to compare

Matt
I grew up with the old Monarchs,Sterlings,which i have 1 of
each.Sound wise and playing motion,i'd rather those.
But to judge the accordions nowadays,,I'd say buy what
you thinks best and never let anyone,tell you what to
spend your money on.
Later Elzie

Re: Re: invitation to compare

I found the tuning ( less Cajun sounding )..and volume ( not as loud ) than my other Cajun boxes; in particular when compared to my Martins.

The tuning sounded more in unison, drier, and like a standard diatonic accordion. Martins have that Cajun squawk ( as do Acadians, Larry Millers, and Jude's ). Martins are very loud IMHO.

My Falcon is new, and the action is stiffer because of that, the bellows are shorter, but again. I am not a good player, so can't be a good judge at the full range of criteria needed to comment.

I'm happy with all my LA boxes for different reasons (Larry Miller's , Martin, Acadian, Anthony Falcon, Randy Falcon..and I've played Judes ) . I would, however, put Jr. Martin's at the top of my personal favorites ( consistancy, action, tuning, volume ) .. with all due respect to the other makers.

You can't go wrong with any of these great instruments..my comments are limited to and by my meager playing experience and subjective personal preferences.

G.

Thanks for all the feedback. It contained information on several aspects which I did not remember or did not know. I have a 1-year old Bon Cajun and am very content with it. I have been giving thought to a 2nd (though I don't play my first well enough yet to justify a 2nd). I was intrigued, however, by the squared fingerboard and the buttons closer to the edge on one Falcon I saw, but I don't presently know if that option is made available by other builders. Being a perpetual beginner I will not want to invest in a dual-key accordion, so the info. on that and the Falcon was beneficial. I am prone to assume, however, that the buttons closer to the edge will be beneficial to me -- with small hands and short fingers.

Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

Try several accordions and then get with the builder you choose to see just how close you want the buttons to the edge of the keyboard. He will then be able to build your accordion just as you would want it. Paul Daigle mentioned to me that he had his bass box made wider because he has such large hands. So these are all things you need to consider.

I think it is a mistake to equate loud sounding with good sounding. Those loud in your face sounding accordions are pretty harsh and terrible.

Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

I wasn't equating loud with good. I do think accordions with more potential volume are easier to play in my case. So loudness is also a factor of how you play ?

The more subtle tuning on the Falcon gives it what Randy calls the sound of the older Sterling/Monarchs.. and he used Salpa reeds.. so.. this all factors into how quality and volume are perceived.

I played a CAJUN brand once.. and found it was very weak on volume..and when played in a noisy public environ, lacked the necessary projection to be heard decently, no matter how hard you pushed or pulled.

A Martin in those circumstances would have cut through the backround noise. I know few Cajun venues which are not rowdy affairs.. no captive audiences.. so

Loudness, though not a merit on its own, I would think effects the way you play the instrument live..and the quality of perception by the listening, dancing, drinking, talking public.

I know folks who think Martins are too loud. I can't agree until I see how they are playing or the conditions they are playing in. Potentially I find them louder than other boxes, but not necessarily.

G.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

I have a Bon Cajun, with which I am very happy. I did get a chance to play Ray Abshire's Falcon (or one of his Falcon's?), and Ray commented that he had requested that it be designed to sound a note with barely a touch, and that he wasn't concerned about volume as he always was mic'd in a public performance. The box was made with an old set of Sterling reeds, and it had a sweet tone with very little air needed to get a toot.

So I would say that, if you work with the builder, you can get something a little non-standard if that's what you want.

Good squeezin' to ya regardless!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

immediate, no effort response..that usually means using a lighter torque spring..which after much much use can not hold the seal to cover all 4 notes.. especially if an air sucker needed on the lower keys E or G or A..

Altenatively lowering the action with the tight torque springs works.. and actually can be done at home.. ( I done this on several triple rows..but .. you really have to be carefull to keep a level keyboard. )

The risks on the first option are that Your keyboard risks getting spongey fast .. G

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

I beg to differ with you on that. The accordion brought up above has a lot of mileage on it and it's air tight and anything but spongey.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

--- probably meaning the tight torque springs were used and action lowered... the spongey quality ( as you will read ) comes from lighter gauged springs being installed on 4 reed instruments, which call for more torque. Obviously this is not the case on the above-mentioned accordion..

Many players have custom made boxes with the easier torque springs.. later they find they get spongey. There are other ways of gauging note-sound response..but lowering of action and spring choice seem to be the most widespread. Each carry disadvantages in the long run..

Obviously Randy Falcon has his way too.. ( his boxes are original in more than one way.. .. i.e. bellows length, reed brand and quality choice, reed blocks, sound.. we talked at length about these last Christmas..

G.

invitation to compare - Charlie P. jump in

First, I should distinguish myself from "Steve B." as there are a couple of people on this forum who know that I am also a "Steve B". So I am the "Steve Blais" Steve B.

Anyway - Glenn! You are an amazing expert, but perhaps wrong in this case. It may well have been the thinner, older reeds, or smaller air holes, plus maybe combined with shorter button travel (which I think you mentioned) that contributed to the ease of action on Mr. Ray's accordion.

Charlie was there that day at Buffy-of-Cleoma's Ghost's-House and also played this accordion...maybe he can share an impression. My main impression was that it just was set up so that it took less air to move the reeds; not that it took less effort to press the buttons.

Now if you want to talk about less effort to push the buttons, we can talk about my Saltarelle Nuage...
S'b'B

Re: invitation to compare - Charlie P. jump in

Many things can contribute to sponginess including the angle of the pallet mechanism in combination with the springs.. the reeds especially the length to width to thickness....wimpy bellows, etc etc

Steve... so what Nuage? a Saltarelle Dino Baffetti built Nuage or an earlier Serenellinni built Nuage
and what key system?
And how do you like it.

I owned a Serenellinii Cloud.. actually 2 one in D/G and the other in #/D.... they were exactly the same box with better reeds and finish....
somewhere around 1992-92....

I sold both of them in a fit of disgust with my lack of playing skills and regret it...
I paid $900 and $1100 for mine.... now they are easily double that.

If you want ease of play.. compare the Saltarelles with Castagnari.. now there is ease of play...

Saltarelle-Serenellini-Baffeti-Castagnari Thread

I bought the Nuage used. The Button Box thought it was mid-1990's, which probably means Serenellini built. It's in C#/D with a black finish; Martin O'Connor signature model (which I'm not sure means anything). I was all set to order a black Serenellini Cloud when, lo, there was the Saltarelle...no wait...less money, and in pretty good shape.

I have some good intentions about learning some Quebec and Cape Breton (yeah, I know, they don't use accordions much in Cape Breton music) tunes in keys other than D, but so far I haven't made the time to learn how to use the C# row to play from tune books in A, G, etc.

It's a LMM swing-tuned box though, and zydeco sounds great on it!

I once had a Baffetti-built Saltarelle Shamrock, and though it sounded and played great, there were some real cosmetic and workmanship flaws.

Any good bohemian cafes in your area?

Re: Saltarelle-Serenellini-Baffeti-Castagnari Thread

Saltarelle went thoguh a seriously sloppy period, cosmetically and internally.. SO many complaints that Georges Roux ( owner of Salt) threatenen to dump Baffetti.. they cleaned up their act somewhat but not entirely

Keep in mind this is a group designed box built under contract by the cheapest bidder, returned to France and then distributed to dealers only. The price is high because of all the markups..and fingers in the pie. Some swear by them, some at them

Rare that you have a Mairtin O'Connor signature model as this was reseved for the Connemara II.. a 2 1/2 row that Mairtin plays and is currenlty the endorsed unit.. the only endorsed uniot.. owing to his early invlovement.. and Mairtin is a Salt dealer in Ireland

Have you heard his 2 CDs,, Perpetual Motion and something about a Road.. The Perpetual Motion is with a 2 row in D/D# 2 row and the other with a C#/D 2 1.2 row

BTW Salatarelle also had a "Cajun" box now discontinued... not bad looking.. They actually built this in a 4 reed 4 stopper and a 2 reed no stopper

They also briefly built a 2 1/2 row ( I recall) with 4 reeds and 4 stops and 2 bass stops.. Cajun tuned no less... forgot the model but it had a brief life.. weighed around 15 pounds plus....tres cool
Louisianne was the model !! !! massive .. but cool

No Bohemian restaurants.. no Bohemians ( German speaking Czechs by definition) Bohemeians were originally called the Boli and they were a tribe of
(believe it or not ) Celts.. so played Celtic music..
They were responsible for the accordion and the harmonica..

Re: invitation to compare - Charlie P. jump in

Well those are all qualities that Randy mentioned..so most likely true in this particular case.. He sure prides himself on his work(manship) .. and aims to please. Generalizing, builders will often blame spring torque as the foremost culpert in determining easy, stiff, spongey or immediate, sensitive, trigger-quality button action.

G

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

With most cajuns who play professionally it seems that is the case. They don't worry about volume they want a good sound and mic when necessary.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: invitation to compare

Several years ago an indivudal in Lafayette rebuilt old Sterlings and Monarch's and before he died I was able to get a Monarch from him. I had my Cajun tuned the same way and they sound the same. Not loud but what a beautiful sound. Very traditional.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!