Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lake Martin "House"

Any of y'all know what that bizarre house is on the east side of Lake Martin, Louisiana? It's about 15 feet square and 4 stories tall. It's got some lavish rooftop patio. Reminds me of a Florida Keys bat house. It's creepy, unkept and obscured by a lot of woods. Got a pic of it:

http://www.mosquitogumbo.com/pics_memday06_scene5.jpg

Never seen it before until this past weekend... strange place. It would be cool to stay there!

Rick

Re: Lake Martin "House"

Now, if that's their idea of a house, I'd like to see what kind of duck blind they have on the lake.
It's fun to see that picture Rick. I always wonder about that place too. I try to imagine who owns it and what they were thinking. I figure they must have a hell of a view of the lake! They must have an elevator, too. Never seen a sign of life there (although I've only been to Lake Martin three time in my life). The design is pretty unusual but the brick work etc. looks kind of generic to me. It reminds me of a number of apartment buildings I've seen spring up (although not in that shape exactly).
I was there in April and the lack of nesting birds broke my heart--makes you worry about this old planet--I hope next year will be better.

Re: Lake Martin "House"

I am fairly certain is was built for bird watchers. Until this year, there were about 10,000 pairs of breeding birds at the Lake Martin Rookery. This year for some reason the count was only around 1000 pairs of birds. In addition there are Nutria, alligator, turtles, raccoons as well as other animals.

Re: Re: Lake Martin "House"

Looks more like one of those deer blinds used on some of those Big Texas ranches for the mega rich sportsmen who want to rough it but also with the comforts of home

Re: Re: Re: Lake Martin "House"

Thanks for the responses, Braves... I was very intrigued when I saw it and I figured it had something to do with an eco-centric reason, but just wasn't sure. Too small to throw a house party, but the "roof" would lend itself to a nice jam.

The bird-watching aspect definitely makes sense for this structure. I wonder if the decline in the bird population this year was due to the hurricanes -- or the vanishing coastline of the ragged boot of Louisiana... most likely both. I've talked with a lot of duck hunters that didn't do too well this year, either; so I know they didn't affect the duck population...

This is a great forum -- amazing to find stuff out. It's greatly appreciated by moi. Now, about those accordions...

Rick

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!