Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: age of Hohner Cajun-style accordions

Hey Jefe,

Mr. Ortego used to tell me that the best reeds were the ones with the H on them...they seemed to be darker in color (maybe had zinc in them?) as opposed to the brighter reeds with the T on them. He called the T reeds "tupelo" reeds. Ever heard of that? He said the darker H reeds were very similar to the Monarch/Sterling reeds that everyone in the old days really liked. What more do you know about the history of Hohner reeds?

Re: Re: age of Hohner Cajun-style accordions

The keyboard is plastic, the ends have horns I think, i.e. the recurves extend to the width of the box. By the strap do you mean the shoulder strap or the straps that hold the bellows shut? They ae held o with screws, there was no shoulder strap originally, and the thumb strap is leather and held on with a rivet. The box is gold with sort of a leaf design, on the back of the keyboard it says "Steel reeds on individual plates" with an anchor and "made by M. Hohner Germany". The Key is not stamped on the outside, and the valves have leather pads on them. I took the gold cover off the valves so it would be louder.

Re: Re: Re: age of Hohner Cajun-style accordions

El Jefe meant for you to look for the key signature on the bass strap. I think that the older Hohner 114 boxes had a T on the reeds. The T standing for the German city in which they were made. Now I know I am spellling it wrong but anyway here is my spelling.
Throssingen, Germany.

Re: Re: Re: Re: age of Hohner Cajun-style accordions

Yep, that's it ---the bass strap has "C" on it and the reeds are "T". It's tuned pretty wet, but I'd probably leave it and just back off the stop a little which takes some of the wetness out.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!