Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Switchcraft #151

what does that mean ?

[a mic is a transducer]

wle.

Re: Re: Re: Switchcraft #151

See above link.

There are many transducers on the market for everything from pianos to guitars to trumpets. B Band is my favorite for acoustic guitar.

I'm sure I'm not the first to think about this but I was wondering why I haven't seen anything about someone trying it. One trans on the treble side, one on the bass side. Both going to a TRS 1/4" sealed jack. Use a TRS cable. Then to an outboard stereo preamp/EQ/mixer/blender mixed to mono, then a DI then straight to the console. It seems to me that this would be an excellent reproduction system. Clean, natural signal with the ability for bass reproduction as well as treble. Maybe feedback is a problem? I don't think it'd be worse than a mic.

Joey Breaux

reeds primarily vibrate the air

try it, but i wouldn;t expect much

these are guitar soundboard piezoelectric transducers

they pick up vibrations in the wood, not the air

remember that the reeds primarily vibrate the air
directly - unlike a guitar where they have
to bend wood [the soundboard] first

although
this would probably be a good way to pick up a lot
of button, bellows and flapper noise ..

wle.

Re: reeds primarily vibrate the air

See? I knew there had to be a reason why. Thanks.

Joey B

Re: Re: reeds primarily vibrate the air

you;re welcome

[ but what do you have against flapper, bellows and
button noise? :) ]

wle.

Re: internal mic question

Thanks Nick. I found one in my junk box. I picked it up 20 years ago. I knew I would need it someday. I also found a headset from WWII I had saved.
One man's junk is another man's junk.
Craig

The jacks appear to be standard phone jacks, but they are not. They are the sealed variety. They cost more (can't remember exactly, maybe it was around $10?), but they don't leak air. Leaking would be a bad thing.

-David

The one I had in the ole junk box is a commercial sealed, rectangular black plastic enclosed jack. The panel thickness dimension = Panther wall thickness. I drilled and tapped and then hardened the threads with C.A. It threads tightly. The element is from an Audio Technica I found laying around. Sounds pretty good!

Craig

Craig,
I use . what is called, a "1/4" flush mount jack".
They are sealed and do not leak air.You can find them in most music stores. I know Peavey offers them as an accessory item. You can also order them from music supply companies. Carvin has them listed in their magazine. They run about $12 at the store, about $6 if you order them.
Jude

Re: Re: internal mic question..Jude?

Hi ya'll,
when I plug a cord into my jack, the signal cuts in and out. Do the jacks wear out? Is it common?

I generally use a wireless airline guitar transmitter which is about as big as your thumb and does not cause any problem, probably because there is no side pull.

any comments?

thanks
Kirk j

Re: Re: Re: internal mic question..Jude?

Yes, the jack can "wear out". It's not a common thing, but I have had to replace them in the past.
Jude

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!