Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
La Vieille Danse A Balfa

I discovered this on Jai Vu Le Loup of course, and am intriqued. Can anyone tell me something about the origin of this song? It has such a Celtic sound that I an envision a couple of Scottish pipers playing this with some gals dancing a jig. Is this a Balfa original or an old traditional European tune? I know there are a lot of parallels between Cajun and Irish accordion and was wondering if this song had an Irish origin that the Balfa's adopted. I have not been able to find any Irish diatonic accordion music on the web so cannot make any comparisons but would like to study some if anyone has any references.

BTW, and this may seem trivial to you experts, but this is the first accordion tune I've been able to pick out soley by ear. I've been able to add this to my whopping 6 song repertoire, but all of my first tunes I had tabs or sheet music to help me through the first few phrases, and never having played anything except by sight reading music, this is a pretty big deal for a beginner like me. It is a fun tune and I am having a great time with it. If anyone has any information on it's origin I would appreciate.

Hal
Frenchtown, Montana

(sorry, I'm not French. The hometown is just a coincidence)

Re: La Vieille Danse A Balfa

Hal, could you point to an internet link where we can listen to this song?
I'm not familiar with it, but curious. There are several songs that are very similar within the Cajun and French Canadian repertoire. French Canadian does contain a strong celtic influence. Maybe that song is one of them. Who knows?

Re: Re: La Vieille Danse A Balfa

Thanks for the response. I'm interesting to hear what you think. If you are familiar with anything else similar I would appreciate some sources.

This is a tinyurl link to J'ai Vu Le Loup, Le Rennard Et La Belette by the Balfa brothers I found on cduniverse.com

Enjoy,

Hal

http://tinyurl.com/nzo2r

Re: Re: Re: La Vieille Danse A Balfa

My tinyurl link seems to have expired so I put the link (where I should have in the first place) to the CD at cduniverse. Scroll down to track 10.

If anyone has any history on this song or links to similar accordion music I sure would appreciate it.

Hal

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!