Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Nonc Allie Young Performing at His 90th Birthday

Mike and I, as well as Darryl from Australia and his wife Jan, had the good fortune to be invited to Nonc Allie Young's 90th birthday party at the Swine Barn in Basile a couple of years back. Nonc was STILL a strong, talented performer!

Re: Nonc Allie Young Performing at His 90th Birthday

That 90th was a a SPECIAL occasion...felt honoured to be invited and part of Nonc's celebrations...Paul Daigle and others played as well , lots of dancing on the large cornmeal? covered floor.
For interest, I was given an audio tape called Nonc Allie and the Basile Cajun Band produced by Lil Hebert ( Opelousas or Lafayette..? ) and recorded at La Louisianne Record ( David Rachou ).
Songs are :
Nonc Allie 2 Step
DJ Waltz
La Porte d'en Arriere
Blue du Port Arthur
Ou Toi T'Es
Ton Papa
Chere Mom
Cable et Mes Eperons
Les Veuves de la Coluee
Old Fashion 2 Step
Opelousas Waltz
Madaline

Don't know if it's on CD.

Darryl.

Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

Gerard Dole recorded Allie Young several years ago almost in an interview style. Allie is giving commentary in french on the songs before he plays them. Those are the kind of recordings I treasure. If Mr. Dole is still visiting here, maybe he can let you know how to get a copy. And Mr. Dole, any others like it, please let us know, and thanks for your work.

Bryan

Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

That's a nice link to the Amazon review of Louisiana Cajun Music from the Southwest Prairies Vol. 1!

Above are links to the Rounder Record descriptions of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2.

I got vol. 1 in 1976 and was so impressed, I wrote to Rounder to thank them. I guess I moved them with my note because they surprised me by sending me vol. 2 at no charge! That was a long time ago! Today the quote by Ralph Rinzler on my Web site comes from the notes to these volumes.

One great musician not mentioned was fiddler Aubrey Deville, on vol. 2. Do Bryan and Dowell remember him from Mamou? I would like to know more about him.

Would the fellow with the UK cd information provide the track list, please, and song credits if possible? I might want to make a trade.

It's a shame but I used to have a bunch of Balfa stuff on my Web site, until Flat Town Music claimed that they owned the copyright to the music and lyrics (not the sound recordings) for many songs that you would have thought would belong to public domain by now.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

See the link for an image of the cover. The picture look familiar...? (By the way, the copy I saw on eBay didn't have that logo in the bottom left corner)
The collected info I have on the UK CD is that it was issued on the ACE label in 1990, back when they started excavating Floyd Soileau's vaults. It has a big notation "Swallow" logo on the cover (no mention of Ace). The title is "The New York Concerts, Plus". It's OUT OF PRINT, and being as UK imports pre-internet were so scarce then, I doubt many copies are to be had over here.

I found that the tracks are:
1. Jolie Blon
2. Les Flames D'enfer
3. Les Bars De La Prison
4. Two Step De Lacassine
5. I Don't Want You Anymore
6. La Valse De Grand Bois
7. J'ai Passe Devant Ta Porte
8. Hippy Ti Yo
9. Madame Sostan
10. La Valse Criminel
11. You Had Some But You Won't Have Anymore
12. Tee Yeaux Noir
13. Chanson De Les Mardi Gras
14. Dying In Misery
15. In My Old Wagon
16. Cowboy Waltz
17. Texas Two Step
18. Coeur Criminel
19. Les Traces De Mon Bogue
20. J'etais Au Balle
21. Valse De Kaplan

Like I said, I saw it on eBay, but didn't jump on it.
I do remember that the guy selling it remarked "I'm listening to it now... but I'm not so sure its live!".
Maybe some of that "extra" material is studio recordings to pad the disc out... Like the Abshire-Balfa tracks.
Just a thought...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

Thanks!

I found that the tracks are:
1. Jolie Blon
2. Les Flames D'enfer
3. Les Bars De La Prison
4. Two Step De Lacassine
5. I Don't Want You Anymore
6. La Valse De Grand Bois
7. J'ai Passe Devant Ta Porte
8. Hippy Ti Yo
9. Madame Sostan
10. La Valse Criminel
11. You Had Some But You Won't Have Anymore
12. Tee Yeaux Noir
13. Chanson De Les Mardi Gras
14. Dying In Misery
15. In My Old Wagon
16. Cowboy Waltz
17. Texas Two Step
18. Coeur Criminel
19. Les Traces De Mon Bogue
20. J'etais Au Balle
21. Valse De Kaplan

1-12 are titles I have from the Swallow lp. 13-21 did not appear on the Swallow lp that I have called New York Concerts.

The cover image is not the same as on the Swallow lp I know, but Ace was free to supply its own cover art.

13-21 interest me. I wonder if they are live recordings at all. Swallow made studio recordings and singles of all those songs, Balfas with Nathan Abshire (worth having!)

Neal, did you try sending more nice letters?

I didnt realize Rounder sold them too. Neal do you have any of those from that Smithsonian site? I dont know why that site never came up before on my searches. I ordered 2 from them, I'll give a report when they get here. Looks like a lot of them are Gerard Dole projects. He really did a lot to preserve our music at a great time.

I dont remember an Aubrey Deville, but I bet dad does, he keeps surprising me with his Mamou music ties. I guess I will be soon ordering volume 2.

I just cant imagine what music is being horded in copyright vaults. If it is being horded so much because of production costs and lack of interest, maybe this buying by the song concept will change that in the future.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

Tracks 13-21 are, and I quote from the CD, from a variety of sources, and information is sometimes sketchy.

Track 13 is as appears on the second Balfa Swallow album 'Play more traditional cajun music'.

14, 19, 20 and 21 were taken from Nathan Abshire's 'The good times are killing me'

Tracks 15 and 16 appeared on a 45 (sw10256) Only Dewey and Will Balfa are named musicians.

Tracks 17 and 18 appeared on a 45 (sw10267) Dewey Balfa and Nathan Abshire are named musicians.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

Sorry, just in case you missed my other posting.

Tracks 2,5 and 12 are the 1974 concert with Allie Young. The remaining tracks are the 1978 concert with Hadley Fontenot.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hadley Fontenot.... how about Nonc Allie Young?

Phil wrote "The remaining tracks are the 1978 concert with Hadley Fontenot."

Also, one or more tracks from that concert feature the fiddles of Dewey Balfa and Dick Richard, sans accordion.

Yes, I knew Aubrey "Bo-Boy" Deville, we played together a couple of times. A very good fiddle player, but didn't play much professionally (if that's what we can call it). I was surprised to find a recording of him on Neal's site - I didn't think he had ever been recorded. He played with many different local groups, but never regular, mostly because of an alcohol problem, except for the last few years before he died. He was one real nice guy.

Dowell

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!