Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Learning tunes

Thanks for the replies and let me explain why I am sking..

On another diatonic accordion (button box) discussion group one of th eposters syas essentially that MOST people who play the button accordion learn by standard musical notation.. I tried to explain this ignorant ( not a slam read the definition) elitist
( that is a slam becuase of his attitude) that the button accordion by tradition and currently is primarily an aural tradition, opassed on form one player to another and one generation to another.
The main way a tune is learned is by listening and watching. He says it's by written music.
The simple fact is that many if not most fo the traditional tunes whether Irish or Cajun or uebec were not written down until recent history and most players even thought they may read standard musical notation do NOT use it for learning a tune

I say it is a rare player that can grab a piece of written music and play it. First there is the key of the box to xconsider, second no writen music can give you the drive and rhythm and accent and especially the nuances of the fingering and the grace notes and embellishments.

TAB actually predated standard music notation but was used primarily for old LUTE music.. TAB for accordion sis a recent debvelopement and there are quite a few ways to do it.

SO the reason for the poll is to see how we players of traditional Cajun music learn, either be standard music notation
Listening
watching
TAB

or a combination of the above

I am going to vote for written music as the least used method, though I use them all

Sometiomes I will hear a tune and can't get a grip on it. And sometimes I can find the written music, especially for Quebec playing.. then I will transcribe the written music to TAB and try to learn form that.

I also liek watching players, gives you not only visual technique but HOW they do what they do.

So anyone who responded, thanks, but could you simplify your answer so I can go back to this guy and either prove or disprove my point that he is full of it.

Thanks

Jeff
aka Bohemian

Re: Learning tunes

For me, It's a combination of #3 & #4. I don't read music, nor tabs. (I suppose I can read music, but at such a beginner level it's not even funny).

So, when I hear a song I like, I try to find the song(CDs, videos, etc.). I also find the lyrics from Ann Savoy's book, or I ask on this site.
Then I listen to it a gazilion time to assimilate it under my skin.
Then I play along the CD at the same time, then I do it on my own.
Bottom line: I learn by ear.

The best way is by listening.

In fact, you can make the case that it is almost the only way possible. Why?

1) There is virtually no standard notation sheet music available for Cajun accordion, and what little there is is either wrong or so vastly oversimplified as to be useless to anyone but the most bare bones beginner.

2) Tabs. There are more tabs available than standard notation, but they are equally simplistic and/or wrong.

3) Watching someone play. Unless you are in Louisiana, this is impossible.

You didn't mention videos. I know that many people make use of them. I have watched some, but I never got much out of them. Maybe some people do.

I think that in the end, if you develop your ear, you will be way ahead of the game. If the only way you can play is by sheet music or tabs, you will never get very far. It is like that old story "Give me a fish and I eat today, if I learn to fish I eat every day".

I played a private party gig once, and in the audience was a guy that claimed he could play Cajun music and asked if he could sit in. We said yes (somewhat hesitantly - you never know what you are getting into in these situations). He proudly brought out his accordion and a big stack of sheet music. It was from one of those really lame Mel Bay books, maybe it was called "Cajun Dance Hall". He started playing and it was pretty bad. You could recognize the melodies and he was playing correctly what was written, but the soul of the music was completely gone. It wasn't Cajun music any more - it was Cajun Muzak (like those really, really, really lame Cajun Midi files that were going around a few years ago on the internet - I think Gary Hayman had them playing on his website).

-David

Listening is the only way for me.

Abbreviated reply, more specific to your poll:

For me, listening is the ONLY way I learn. (for the reasons stated on the previous post)

-David

Re: Listening is the only way for me.

My son is a talented trumpet player, aiming at a performance career. I was his music teacher from grades 5 - 8 (being a trumpeter, too), and I made the point to him from day one that 99% of the people on the planet who've ever performed music never saw printed notes on a page. At best, printed music is a shorthand hint at how the music, even classical or "art" music, is supposed to go. Producing music needs the link between the ear and mind, not so much the eye and the mind. It's really easy to use written music as a crutch, which can shut down your imagination and your own ability to hear what you're really playing. The other great learning tool is to record your own playing, whether practice or a gig, listen critically and try to bridge the gap between what you want to play and what you did play.

Re: Listening is the only way for me.

I think so too misto plumtree but you learned before they had videeyoz. using videeyoz has helped more than anything for me. Also, if you get a good accordion player to make some audio tapes of the songs you like, and play them slowwww and smewwwth, that helps a lot. You are extremely lucky if you can swap a video back and forth with a good player. one who shall go unnamed helped me this way and it was a good idea: I'd send him an audio tape and when he got done laffen he'd send me a videeyo of what I was trying to do.

finally, learning by ear really burns it in the fingers but the problem is that there is sooo much trial and error. you need some help starting out by a videeyo or something like that.

how the peaches and plums this year bro?

jt

hay jude

Hey BuFraw!

Hey Bro, how's thangs?

Me, I'm good. I had a nice couple gigs over the weekend playin' bass behind Mark St. Mary. It was fun gettin' down on the bass (and less stressful than leading a band on accordion!)

The peaches and plums won't be in for a while. We're still on the tail end of the naval oranges.

See ya,
David

There are other things to consider;

1) How long you have been playing the accordion
2) do you play other instruments
3) do you play other music.

I think the learning techniques may vary. By that I mean I live in a place (SC) where there is absolutely no Cajun music. My learning Cajun tunes come from
the Larry Miller Book and CD, Dirk Powell DVD #1. Joe Rogers DVD, Big Nicks web page. Dirk Powell DvD #2 is a little advanced for me. I can pick a little up from Cajun CD's.

I have played music all my life but only the accordion for five months so the Cajun tunes are new to me.

The non Cajun tunes that came right out of the blue totally by ear are those that I have played on other instruments, tunes such:
Edileweiss
Kentucky waltz
Boneparte Crossing the Rhine
Old Folks at Home, (Thanks Wilson for the DVD on Horace T.)
Star of County Down

Only one tune I learned from the notes Bill Sullivan's Polka and is listed on this forum.

My apporach was to play what I can even if its not Cajun so I can learn where the notes(sound) is on the keys and then move into more Cajun music and by
ear if possible

To answer your question directly Bohemain, I use what ever technique I can to learn the tune.

Thanks ..... Ed

Re: Re: Learning tunes

just listen to a cd and try to play along with the accordian and try it over and over until your fingers are bleeding like i did.

Re: Re: Re: Learning tunes

When the neighbors start banging on the walls...you're gettin' there.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Learning tunes

Banging on the walls ain't bad. It's when they start throwing shoes at you when you walk outside to get a breath of fresh air that you got to worry about.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!