Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Singing??

Oh yeah,

I feel y'all's pain too. I can sing comfortably in G, but F is probably my ideal key (even though I never do any songs in that one).

I recently ordered a new A Savoy box, which will be ready in October. E (on the pull) is a great key for my voice -- I don't have to strain the highs, and the midrange notes are comfortable.

Mess around with a guitar to see which key is best for you. Then you can buy a box that has that key in the pull.

Nick B.

Re: Re: Re: Singing??

If dropping the bucks for a new box that drops the key is not possible, you might try this -- it's worked for me and produced some interesting "original" results:

If you can find the lower harmony to the melody, give that a shot. You'd be surprised at what a new twist it can give to an old standard.

You never can tell...

Rick

Re: Singing??

everything depends on the song

every song has a range -
a highest and a lowest note

so to just say, i can;t sing in key "x",
doesn;t really mean anything

it;s a combination of the key and the range of the
song

so there may be songs you can sing with your
current accordion, you just have to find them.

now if you can;t sing the songs you *want* to sing,
that is another matter..

wle.

Re: Singing??

Another thing you can try is to play the song in the other position on the accordion. Many, many songs will work perfectly fine especially if it is just to cover a request. Here is one that I have done several times: Ivy Dugas recorded "The Gravel Road" in Bb on a Bb. Even in Bb, it is a pretty high song. I don't have a Bb, so if someone requests it, I play it in A on a D accordion. There are a few subtle differences in the melody, but you can get your point across.

Re: Re: Singing??

good idea

i;ve done that

wle.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!