Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: The Story on Mouton King Professional Accordions?

Well,
This is knowledge I have gotten from several different sources. To answer your question Nick, Mouton is definately a Louisiana made instrument. Shine Mouton made accordions for a long time before he passed away and his nephew Greg took over the business. I have played on a few Mouton's over the years and the old Shine accordions varied alot in quality and sound but overall are pretty good instruments. I know that Shine was very particular about showing people how to make accordions and atleast to my knowledge only showed two people how to completely make an accordion, Randy Falcon and his nephew Greg. I personally own one Greg Mouton box that I bought second hand off a church point accordion player. I personally can say that I love the Mouton box just as much as my Martin and Savoy boxes. Greg puts alot of love into each of his boxes, just like Shine did I'm sure, and its easy to see just looking and playing them. I've seen that accordion on E-bay a few times and it looks pretty beat up so I'm not really sure how much someone would want to invest in it.

John

Re: The Story on Mouton King Professional Accordions?

Hey BN,

You subject line says "Mouton King Professional" which confuses me about your question. Greg Mouton owns Mouton Music and builds the Mouton accordion. He learned mostly from Randy Falcon and began using the name that his uncle, Shine Mouton used when he was alive and building. Greg's instruments are nice instruments, and occasionally Joanie posts pictures of hers on this site. The confusion, for me is in the "King Professional" part. After I quit selling the Gabbanelli Cajun Kings about three years ago, Greg was the only remaining Gabbanelli dealer in Louisiana. He may be marketing them as Mouton Kings. Joanie may know more about that.

Re: Re: The Story on Mouton King Professional Accordions?

I think he is talking about this:

at this location:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mouton-the-King-Professional-Accordion-Cajun_W0QQitemZ7424586466QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16218QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Re: Re: Re: The Story on Mouton King Professional Accordions?

Thanks Tom, I was a little confussed also. Now it's clear where the "King" and " Professional" came from.
This looks like a very old, very used, "Shine" Mouton accordion and , as usual with E-Bay sellers, they're playing on the wording on the instrument, to help bolster the selling price.
Jude

Ah-Ha!

That is a Shine Mouton accordion.

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Braves ..

I knew that I could count on y'all for a response!

I will pass along this information, and now I
know more about Mouton accordions than I did
yesterday!

--Big

Re: Thanks everyone!

Wow thanks for doing my research for me! If it is at all playable it will be a big step up from my Hohner. Otherwise I see how the seven day guarantee works.

Re: Re: Thanks everyone!

Let us know how it plays and sounds.

Thanks.

Ron W

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!