Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
old time tunig?

So just tuning is the standard, slightly flat thirds, etc., and for the most part, dry. Guess I'm looking for a history lesson here. How were the old Sterlings and Monarchs tuned as they left Germany? And how long did it take for someone to mess around with the temperment? I'm thinking it's probably different pre and post WWII, since there was such a long dirth of accordions after the factories got bombed - different generation, different ideas.
Steve

Re: old time tuning?

Hey Steve,
Hello from across the mighty Hudson. When you posted your question I expected it to provoke a lot of discussion and I was looking forward to the answers...but there none.
May I suggest that you address your question to someone like Marc Savoy (he started out building with recycled parts from old accordions) or Ray Abshire (if my memory serves me, he has a Falcon accordion with old Sterling reeds, or so I think I read on this list)?
Then let us know. I'm curious.
Now, I DO NOT claim to know what I'm talking about BUT I would bet you a cold beer and a hot boudin that they were tuned like the Hohner 114 is today.
Funny thing: we were walking by an "antique" store upstate last weekend when my wife exclaimed, "hey, look at the accordion." I could see it was an old Sterling...or the remains of an old Sterling. I didn't expect it to be real functional...but I hoped I could get a note or two out of it. Alas, it couldn't have weighed four pounds. It seemed like someone had removed the reed blocks and replaced the bellows with some kind of phoney painted paper bellows. I had about thirty seconds there where I pondered whether one could recycle the hardware (buttons, clasps, corners, etc.)onto a new accordion before I came to my senses and left the store. Nonetheless, it was fun to look at and hold (although, I've never liked the idea of wrecked musical instruments as decoration).
Claude

Re: Re: old time tuning?

Old tyme tuning would be factory tuned, machine made reeds. Play them for a few years, a few go out of tune, and alas! Old tyme sound.

Speaking of unique tunings, especially as they relate to zydeco played on Cajun boxes, a very close associate of mine that builds very well known Louisiana boxes that feature clever graphics of "lobsters" on the bellows, told me that "Sloppy Wet" tuning is the next "in" thing for zydeco. It's what Keith Frank has asked this (name withheld) builder to install in his accordion. The reeds are from Czech Republic, ordered by the set, and installed "as is." No hand-tuning -- and these are #3 reeds to boot.

This may have been the opinion of (anonymous builder), but usually what Keith Frank likes, the rest of the zydeco world emulates.

You didn't hear it from me on this forum... just hide and watch...

John Doe

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!