Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Need to move a bass button

Well, I would think Marc would be your best bet for a quality modification, but if you wanted to do it yourself perhaps fashioning a hinged lever to lay over the button giving you the extension you need. In other words, you would need to fashion a very small hinge pin and mount below the button. A small metal plate could be attached to the hinge pin which would extend over the button and come up as far as you need. You would need to drill a tiny hole in the bass button and run a screw through your plate to attach it to the button. Make any sense? Anyone who makes handmade jewelry could assist you with the hinge pin and lever plate. All you would need to do to the accordion is two tiny holes for mounting your hinge pin and one in the bass button so any damage to the box would be very minimal and could easily be patched later if you want to remove it.

I could probably do a quick sketch and post it somewhere if my description isn't adequate.

hope that helps

Hal

Re: Re: Need to move a bass button

Hal,

I can tell, another engineer, and with more imagination than me. I can picture it immediately.
And it is a piece of jewelry. It could be functional and beautiful. It would have to be pretty tough though. The pin going through the body of the instrument could provide substantial support. The bearing at the fulcrum point would have to be pretty substantial to keep the mechanism from twisting. Great idea, great start. Jerry

Re: Need to move a bass button

Your best bet would probably be to get your hands on a set of oversized buttons. Some of the more independent builders use buttons that they make themselves out of the little metal caps on the bottom of furniture feet. Some are bigger than others. Quite frankly, I have a difficult time playing an accordion that is fitted with these because my hands are big and the buttons scraped the sides of my other fingers. Maybe Jude might know where to find a set. You could even go down to Home Depot, get some caps yourself and glue them over the existing buttons.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!