Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: "" CAJUN "" ACCORDIONS ON E-BAY

Cajun Pride accordions were built by Cliff Mott who lived east of Lake Charles, near Iowa. He passed away about five years ago. He never priced his accordions above $700, and you know the old saying...You get what you pay for!"

He was an old retired man who started building because he needed something to do and his neighbor, AJ Gaspard, was building accordions just down the street. Probably built about twenty or so before he died.

That accordion is certainly not worth the $950 on the auction.

I've learned twenty times more than I thought I knew in the last day, reading old posts.

Ebay is really a crap shoot. I saw a green Martin fly off to Italy last spring for $900.

Most people are basically honest and that's how ebay operates. With my limited knowlege of accordions, I'm amazed how many Hohners are listed as "Cajun" with no mention of the Hohner name. Strange photo angles and weird lighting keeps an amature like me guessing. There are some great detail clues discussed on this board but the real tip off is when your emails to sellers go unanswered.

The good thing about ebay is that you can recycle anything. Good Luck.

I've never used ebay, but it''s always fun to look, and more often than not, laugh. Hand carved, as if someone took a break from making duck decoys to whittle an accordion. Guess that would be a Peking duck. Don't think I'd ever get the courage to buy an instrument without playing it first. At least not from one of these ebay stores.
It's great to have Ganey and others around with all their first hand knowledge to shed a little light. The Cajun Pride, for instance. LOOKS like a nicely put together box. Says it's teak. Must be a little on the heavy side, and a Iew saw blades got burnt up in the process.
'm sure there are dozens of builders few people have heard of that only produce a handful of accordions. It would be great to know more about them.
The Acadiana says it 'dark maple', but in the close up picks, it looks more like mahogany or padok. Are these still being made?
Steve

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!