Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Calling Roger!

hi ganey!!!
all is well in the rolling hills of esopus new york, mid-hudson valley! i went to woodstock yesterday to play music with my partner and was diverted many times 'cause the water was rising. but nothing of biblical proportions..........oddly enough, one of the songs we were working on is backwater blues by bessie smith. legend has it that she wrote it for the devestational flooding in mississippi back in the late 20's.......

When it rained five days and the skies turned dark as night
When it rained five days and the skies turned dark as night
There was trouble taking place in the lowlands at night

thanks for asking!!!
hey ganey, any suggestions for a reasonably priced studio to record a bit in your neck of the woods? shoot me an email if you know......
roger

Studio "like buttah"

In the not-so-low-priced (probably) arena, I was checking out Dirk Powell's Cypress House studio on the web last night:

http://www.dirkpowell.com/cypresshouse.html

Looks like the ultimate in old tube warm sound recording. Coincidentally, I've been listening to a couple of CD's produced by Gurf Morlix (Mary Gauthier and Slaid Cleaves) lately, and being compared to Gurf ain't bad 'tall! Come to think of it, Daniel Lanois didn't do too bad on those Dylan CD's, and Colin Linden's band "Blackie and the Rodeo Kings" is pretty cool...getting pretty far off topic...sorry

Roger safe

word just received from Roger: "basement's a little bit wet, but nuthin special"

Re: Re: Neal, How high's the water?

Glad your safe, Neal! I think y'all got the rain that should've fallen in North Texas. Jeez we need it bad -- we've not had any significant rainfall this year. We're already on stage 3 water rationing and my naked backyard raindances only causes my neighbors to spray me with a garden hose, which helps -- but it's not enough. It's drier here than a sawdust sandwich...

If it ain't too late, blow them clouds this-a-way!

R!CK

Re: Re: Neal, How high's the water?

You're right about Pa. I'm a couple miles inland from the Delaware River, which is flooding out lots of folks. They got hit pretty hard last April as well. A couple days ago, I had a black bear in my back yard. If I was the superstitious type, I'd have seen it as an omen. But I'd like to think he was attracted to the accordion playing I was doing on my porch at the time.
Steve

You need Jack the cat! (see link)

I get an Hebert in my backyard once in a while too!

Re: Re: Re: Neal, How high's the water?

Steve,
Your lucky. Read on Philly news that Phillipsburg was about 17 foot above flood stage and my old home town of Trenton has quite a few low laying sections under at least 6 foot of river. Know any good real Cajun cooks up in NJ area? Friends came down to Florida last month and tasted the food at the Cajun Cafe on the Bayou in Pinellas Park. Now they are looking for a good Cajun Restraunt in the state or even open one of their own with someone else doing the cooking.
Leon
Neal, News said they found one of the kids and are looking for the other.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Neal, How high's the water?

I'm just outside of Phillipsburg, but fortunately, I'm on fairly high ground.
As far as Cajun cooking around here, there was a place in the Great Swamp that had excellent food, but went out of business. Seems everybody else add some spices, spray paints fish black, and calls it Cajun. So I make my own boudin and beignets. There is a guy out of Philly that has Creole dishes at several festivals in the area, but I can't remember his name. Great stuff, though. Just to show you how strange it is around here, a couple weeks ago I found out about a resturant that was looking for an accordion player to play Cajun/New Orleans stuff one night a week (when they supposedly specialized in Louisiana cuisine). The guy they hired plays mostly Italian classics peppered with the occacional When the Saints Go Marching In. Sometimes I think Felini had to be from New Jersey.
Steve

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!