Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Marc Savoy's ARIETTEs

It seems that this same discussion pops up every few months... and the responses are always the same as well.

So I will reprise my opposing view:
1) The ariette is the superior instrument for a beginner because it is so very much quieter than a LA handmade... and your family will thank you for learning on the Ariette.

2) Lessons learned on the ariette will show a major jump in execution upon the switch to a better instrument.

3) The resale value of the ariette, especially after numerous patches and tweaks in order to keep it playable, is 100% provided you pay little enough for it in the first place...

4) The arriette, to my mind is a generic term. I personally like the iolite & the bon ton cajun "brands" equally well... and they can be had often for like $100.

cheap

actually i would recommend that too.

get an ariette or
generic equivalent to start with
but don;t pay over $100

my first accordion was a $14 hero

i wore it out in 3 weeks
but i was able to convince myself
that i could actually play something

[especially if you are considering
a 3 row accordion, where entry
level new for a good one is $2k+,
new chinese ones are $150 on ebay]

anyway, don;t listen to me, i do
everything the weird way.

wle.

Re: cheap

hey thats funny my first accordian was a hero also, i pulled it apart on accident

That might be true if the Arriette achieved a minimal level of quality.

It is true that there is a need for an entry level instrument. But, even with entry level, there is a need for a basic level of quality/playability to make it worthwhile - the Arriette is below that level.

I remember my first acoustic guitar - it was a used $100 Kay. It was no Martin, but it was decent enough to learn with. The action was acceptable, the intonation was OK, and you could actually tune it. At the time, there was another guitar that cost $50 new, it may have been a Stella. Even new, it was a hopeless instrument - the action was way too high and was not capable of being fixed; the intonation was so far off that there was no way the instrument could be played in tune. The Stella was not an entry level guitar, it was *below* entry level.

It is the same with the Arriette - it is below entry level. Learning the Cajun accordion is hard enough as it is, without adding the many additional impediments imposed by the Arriette.

-David

Re: That might be true if the Arriette achieved a minimal level of quality.

I learned on an Ariette and enjoyed the heck out of it, thanks in most part to Larry Miller. It took me about six months and I realized I would play better with a better box. I ordered a C Bon Cajun from Larry, and indeed my ability took a huge leap. The Ariette is in the box in the closet waiting for my first attempt at doing my own tuning, thanks in part to Marc Savoy. I have my second Bon Cajun, a D in walnut ordered from Larry. Depending on which I like best I may trade one for another LA handmade. I love the instrument, and traditional Cajun and probably would have never learned to play if it wasn't for the cheap Hohner.

Hal

Re: Marc Savoy's ARIETTEs

I learned on a Chinese box while my La was being built. When it arrived, it was a breeze to play. The trouble with the cheap boxes is people tend to give up too soon. I grew up in the 50's/60's without much and made due with what I could. Used figure skates, homemade stick and puck, etc. Got the good stuff later and kicked donkey! Everything takes effort.
Does anyone remember using slide rules?
Craig

spend the extra $$$ and get the hohner 114 on Marc's site if you want a good solid beginner accordion. He tunes them to his specs for that good cajun sound. and for the record, Marc has been building since 1960.

A dandy cross section of this'n that and then some... there ya go Ron

As they said: These things (questions) pop up about every three or four months regarding what to buy... and boop.. we are off on another whirlwind adventure about this one vs. that one. Good dialogue.

This stuff causes a Nonc to wonder about folks starting out (in some ways). Wondering in an ok sorta way that is, for the simple nature of just being people.

What do you folks estimate the churn rate is among people that start out on a ten button accordion? Ya think 50% will drop it and move on to something else? Just courious.

I think perhaps folks hang on to accordions even if they drop out, else there would be more accordions on the ebay (want ads and brave net) so it seems. No matter how ya slice it, if you hang in long enough (learning and practicing) you will be wanting to gravitate towards a hand built accordion like everyone else has... that's when ya scratch your noodle and wonder "Why in the good Lords name, did I get that thang, when I should got this here thang... Now I got two thangs and I gotta get rid of one thang so that I can move on with the real thang, which is the thang I should'a got all along!"
Bon Chance.. Nonc D

Re: A dandy cross section of this'n that and then some... there ya go Ron

Good question about how many stick with it. I was wondering the same thing when thinking why Marc would carry inexpensive beginner accordions. My guess at the success rate would be 50-50, although that is nothing more than a guess. I am thinking a man like Marc, or Larry, or Dewey Balfa, wanting to help their culture surivive, that even 1 in 10 would be worth whatever effort it would take to keep the interest alive. Even if it meant promoting inexpensive foreign made instruments.

Hal

ARIETTE: OK for beginners

My very first accordion was an Ariette which I ordered through EBay. For a few hundred box, you can have some fun, and find out if you like it or not without spending the big box. I learned to play on it along with Dirk Powells's videos. Once I developed a passion for it, I later on upgraded to a Bon Cajun C (Larry Miller and Acadian D Marc Savoy). I still have my Ariette, which I take out from time to time just for fun (It's actually very good for finger conditioning - like athletes who train with extra weight on them until they remove them and run much faster!
Between the cheapo made-in-China models at around $300 and the better ones made in LA starting at around $1,500 there's little in the middle range in quality/price ratio. There's the Hohner HA-114 which is very decent value for your buck at around $500-600 and the Gabanelli Cajun King at around $700 or so.
That was my two cents' worth. Maz

Thanks everyone.

Thanks again.

I have a used Hohner 114 in G that I paid $200 for.

It is a fun and OK box.

I also teach piano accordion and I have a student that wants to play around with a Cajun type box.

So, I am helping her find one.

This info that you'all are giving me is very helpful.

I know that I will move up to an LA box someday but I know she is not going to spend $1500 just to play around with.

Your info really help alot.

Thanks again.

Ron W

Ron,
You've gotten a good sampling of wisdom and opinion on these question. One thing I wanted to add is that if you're attracted by that "shop tuned" thing on the Savoy Center web site I suggest that you call the shop and ask about it specifically before you order. I could be wrong, but I think the Savoy Center's Hohners are plain stock out of the box.
I bought my H-114 from Marc Savoy a little over a year ago. Maybe in a year I'll get something better...and if I had it to do over again I'd consider the Cajun King...but as far as I'm concerned the 114 is fine to learn on. How much you play and what you put into it are more important than the accordion you start out with.
Good luck and enjoy!

Teaching Tool

I began playing on an Ariette, graduated to an Acadian, started a band, and have no regrets about that original purchase. Especially in light of the following.

My wife has recently picked up my C Acadian and is learning one of her favorites: Danse de Mardi Gras. It helps her tremendously, especially with timing and rhythm, when I pick up the Ariette and play along with her.

Steven Kunasek

Re: Teaching Tool

Do you have tuning problems with the two accordions played together?

Hal

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!