Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Playing Technique

Still working on the accordion with Cajun music. With no one else around here playing Cajun music and my not getting Augusta, I depend on want people have to say on this forum. I will not be one of the percentage that drops out of learning the accordion.

My question is on technique.

The best way to place your thumb in the thumb strap?

I see on the internet some folks place the right thumb with the thumb print on the side of the finger board and thats about all of their right hand that is touching the finger board. I can do this but with my short thumb, I need a rubber band. Does any one use a rubber band with this technique?

Then I see others with their thumb straight thru the strap with the thumb nail up and the left side of the thumb touching the finger board, plus the right palm looks to be on the finger board, fingers are very curled. Looks like you can get a lot of bounce doing this.

Any help/comments with be appreciated.... Ed

PS: Am I making to much out of something??

Re: Playing Technique

Ed... nah, that's just one of those things that everyone sooner or later wonders about.. that thumb thing.

I am no expert, but every accordion is built with enough leather (hopefully) to house every thumb.
By in large, ya gotta adjust that thumb strap to fit your thumb. Pop it in twist clockwise and lock on to the rail of the finger board. Too tight and the blood will be cut off, too loose and ya get to flopping around with less control.

Every accordion I have, I have had to adjust. I have used rubber bands and those small broccolli bands that ya toss out before cooking. But,the best I have ever found as far as rubber bands are those elastic bands kids use on their braces (teeth)... those are as tough as a boot and they stay put and create a nice leather O for the thumb without creeping around. Comfort is the key... and builders have no way of knowing exactly what size thumb you have unless you are on the spot for adjusting.

You will develop a dandy calus on the left side of your right thumb... that sucker will be a calus to the bone after all is said and done and you may wonder if this is natural... it is for accordion players that's for sure. Some accordions have an angle to the rail to lock your thumb better... some are flat and stright, some have a worn groove in the wood from yrs of playing and rubbing that spot... I think Larry Miller accordions have the angle (I think perhaps he may have started this design change).
But locking on is the same principal regardless.

Now then that said.... one of the small differances between a good hand made and that Airette accordion folks were talking about: The leather on hand made accordions (especially the thumb strap) should be soft enough and pliable yet strong.
That crazy Airette thing has a thumb strap that is harder than hammered cat crap and it is a painful piece of hard hide that will tear ya a new one. Hope that helps.

Nonc D

Ed,

I do not know if there is a right or wrong way as long as what you do works and is comfortable.

I replaced the stiff harness leather on mine with a softer leather, cut it to an angle and loop size that fits my thumb.

I hold the accordion with my thumb print against the finger board. I hold it on my right knee and move only the left side. This works for me but others may find another way more comfortable.

Good luck
RPr

Thanks for your comments.
They are very helpful.

.... Ed

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!