Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Thanks everyone.

Thanks again.

I have a used Hohner 114 in G that I paid $200 for.

It is a fun and OK box.

I also teach piano accordion and I have a student that wants to play around with a Cajun type box.

So, I am helping her find one.

This info that you'all are giving me is very helpful.

I know that I will move up to an LA box someday but I know she is not going to spend $1500 just to play around with.

Your info really help alot.

Thanks again.

Ron W

Re: Marc Savoy's ARIETTEs

Ron,
You've gotten a good sampling of wisdom and opinion on these question. One thing I wanted to add is that if you're attracted by that "shop tuned" thing on the Savoy Center web site I suggest that you call the shop and ask about it specifically before you order. I could be wrong, but I think the Savoy Center's Hohners are plain stock out of the box.
I bought my H-114 from Marc Savoy a little over a year ago. Maybe in a year I'll get something better...and if I had it to do over again I'd consider the Cajun King...but as far as I'm concerned the 114 is fine to learn on. How much you play and what you put into it are more important than the accordion you start out with.
Good luck and enjoy!

Teaching Tool

I began playing on an Ariette, graduated to an Acadian, started a band, and have no regrets about that original purchase. Especially in light of the following.

My wife has recently picked up my C Acadian and is learning one of her favorites: Danse de Mardi Gras. It helps her tremendously, especially with timing and rhythm, when I pick up the Ariette and play along with her.

Steven Kunasek

Re: Teaching Tool

Do you have tuning problems with the two accordions played together?

Hal

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!