Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Who does ? Some do ... Some don't

Q. Do different builders repair/tune accordions they did not build?

Ans. Some do & some don't.
I had a Laten Miller accordion that needed some adjustment a few years back. Larry Miller made it quite known to me that it was not his accordion, and, he would be reluctant to touch it.... At the same time I had two accordions with me (both in the key of C), one of which was his accordion that he built for me years ago. While I have 3 Larry Miller accordions, I thought it rather odd that he would not touch my Cajun Classic made by Laten Miller (no relation). Never-the-less, I sort'a passed it off as one of those quirks and never let it interfer with our being who we are as friends type'a thing... it's just an oddity nothing more... nothing less.

Later on (couple yrs. down the line), while Linda and I were visiting with Jude and his Wife, I sent that accordion home with him to Texas, and he did his magic on that squeeze box... for which I was very pleased and grateful. I am a firm believer in compensation and reward for little things like that dealing with the human side of stuff... More than human matters, it's good buisness practice to accomidate tyat type of consumer need, it earns dividends in many way.

So believe me when I tell ya that; In my estimation, "Jude Moreau is my go to man (more than just friends - talking business and consumer now), and, he holds my firm and fair endorsement as a builder that I believe will be the Big Dog when everyone else has retired to the rocking chair" You have a Nonc D prediction, right here!

Again; Some do... Some don't

Isn't that odd?

Re: Re: Who does ? Some do ... Some don't

Hi Dave,

That is interesting what you said about Larry's reluctance to work on that accordion. He had no hesitation at all last year when I asked for some help with my Master Bb box that got melted on the stage in Las Vegas in the 116 degree heat! Of course, in that case, it couldn't go back to the original builder as he is deceased.

Several years before that, I had Jr. Martin work on the same accordion, and he didn't flinch. (That time I was getting an internal mic added, which I now do myself, now that I know how easy it is)

But, I am sure that like you say, some do and some don't. It is pretty easy to phone up and ask - the worst that will happen is that they will say no!

-David

Re: Re: Re: Who does ? Some do ... Some don't

Hey D. Sousa, how's things down south?

In defense of Larry Miller (who I continue to admire)... it was at Balfa Camp and he may not have had the time to do what was needed on that accordion... then again as he stated he did not build that particular accordion...in any event, it got what it needed from Jude and I am not rubbed at all by it in any way.

On Larry Millers accordions... I also sent a Bb to him which he had built. I had some bass box problems that needed a quick time repair in prep of Isleton. Jesse was traveling light and he needed that Bb available for part of his gig. Larry did a dandy job, shipped it and I got it in record time.

Some will, some won't... some can and some can not. There are many variables.

Nonc Dave Mason

Larry and record time - oh yes!

I had a very good experience with Larry fixing up my Charlie Ortego accordion. He turned it around so quick it made my head spin. This is a very good thing if you have gigs coming up and your favorite box is out of action for a bit.

I am quite certain that Jude and others would treat us all just as well.

As to how things are down south here, the operative word is HOT! We are in excess of 105 degrees nearly every day, and with some humidity thrown in, which is not typical. But even with the heat, I sure like getting out in the orange grove and doing the little things that need doing. It is a nice change of pace from all the high powered software engineering I do at work - it is enjoyable to switch gears and have a strong back and a weak mind for a bit.

I hope things are OK up your way. No doubt it is just as hot as it is here. Stay cool!

-David

Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Okay, I appreciate the answers regarding builders repairing other boxes. Part of my original question was/is, does anyone know Leland Colligan's current address and or phone number? I would like to send an ACADIANA to be tuned up.

Don

Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Leland Colligan
"Acadiana"
P.O. Box 451 Carencro, La. 70520
318-896-5204

There ya go.

Re: Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

I believe that area code is now 337.

Re: Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Thanks Nonc!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Hey Nonc, I've been trying to locate Jennifer Aniston's number and address... I seemed to have misplaced it.

Thanks,

Rick

Re: Jen's number

She's going by Jennifer Pitt, (except for acting roles.) Got a cool house in Babson park.

Jennifer Pitt
42 Pine Rd
BABSON PARK, FL 33827
863-638-4006

But don't tell anyone, it's a secret!

(Can I remove my tongue from my cheek now?)
DP

Re: Re: Jen's number

Thanks DP -- got it. She says, "muah."
-----------------
Dude... Yer skeerin' me!

R!ck

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Ole Dana's must have a new band.

D.P. and the Poperatzi Corn Maque Choux

Re: Re: Leland Colligan and ACADIANA?

Leland seemed to have some problems tuning his accordions. It seems that he would always cut the reeds pretty much just to get the accordion tuned. I noticed this on most of his acccdordions that I have seen.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!