Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
accordion elbow

I'm wondering if anyone ever had a problem like I'm having with tendonitis. It is in the crook of my elbow that is on the inside where the bicep joins the forearm . Playing seems to aggrivate it. I'll definitely get a medical opinion soon, but If anyone knows how any other suggestions on how to deal with it let me know.

Re: accordion elbow

Hi Harlan,

I've usually heard about this being on the outside, where the tricep attaches. That's what I had, and the only thing that really helped was Rolfing (a form of deep tissue, rather painful, massage). I went from being able to play for less than 5 minutes at a time to as much as I'd like. Once Rolfing broke up the scar tissue and loosened up the muscles, stretching has helped maintain the progress.

Good luck! Scott

Yep..I have that too. Right in the crook of my right arm ...if you turn your palm upwards then travel right back to the inside elbow area that's where the pain is.

I find that when I'm playing I don't notice it but for days later it's evident.I can still get to playing and practice because the initial discomfort only lasts for a few seconds then I warm up.
I also play guitar and I get the same symptoms.

My Chiropractor advised to do exercises like putting your palms flat on a table top while standing, but with the hands angled back towards your body, then you lean forward a little. The stretching of muscles in that affected zone and inside forearm is pretty noticeable.I believe this helps a little but I think I now have chronic damage anyway and this is simply a management technique.
Darryl, Australia.

Go see a good physical therapist. Had the condition for a year before seeing the therapist. She checked everything pushing pulling twisting. Then came up with an exercise program. My problem involved several different muscles so I ended up with about 6 different exercises. All done with 3 sets of 10. Took about another 6 months to get things right.

Re: Re: accordion elbow

Dang, there's enough folks falling apart with that elbow thing to start our own Kazoo and tee fer band.

I know what I did to my arm, it did not just happen. I guess the question I have stemming from you folks;

Was it accordion caused? .... or... did it simply get aggrevated from some injury thing (not accordion related)?

I did that P.T. thing for 6 weeks and went back to work with a series of various exercises to get the strength back for what I needed (work wise). While work is ok now (I am back climbing poles with no problem or fear of lack of grip), that elbow and accordion will simply take more time for the type movement that is involved.... odd stuff

Perhaps I will drag out the harps and kick it with some blues till that left arm comes around

Nonc D

Re: Re: Re: accordion elbow

yup i got tendonitis in my elbow..and carpal tunnel in both wrists :(...but computer gaming and fishing is what caused mine...accordion playing is actually a break from those 2.

Re: Re: Re: Re: accordion elbow

WHOA, FISHNING OR HUNTING have NEVER been proven to be associated with or cause Carpal Tunnel. Now WORK, YES, that has been proven to cause the Carpal Tunnel problems. After my operations, both wrist with the right one twice, the doctors made casts which allowed me to hold and shoot my Bow and to cast. As far as allowing me to shoot my handgun and shotgun, that was a little tricky.

I fly fish, shoot traditional bows, paddle canoe and play accordion. I like to attribute my sore wrists to old age

I feel sorry anyone who would have to give up any of these things.

Ditto on the physical therapist. I worked with one to work out some very serious back pain.

RPr

Re: Re: accordion elbow

I had the exact problem as described. Try a supplement called Sam-E with glucosamine and chondroitin. I was on Celebrex for awhile and couldn't even play the fiddle for 10 min. if I missed a couple of doses. Started on the Sam-E and Now I play a hard 3hour set with no problems. My back. Now thats another matter altogether. Oh, and a steroid shot or two works wonders for awhile.
Z

It's murder! Ignored it for a long time until it crept up on me big time. I started wearing an "Icy Hot Medicated Sleeve" and rubbing my elbow with the Icy Hot medicated cream. It's helping, along with stretch exercises. I haven't sought professional help though.
Good luck
JP

Frozen Shoulder

I didn't develop accordion elbow, but developed an EXCEEDINGLY PAINFUL condition called Frozen Shoulder while learning to play. After numerous cortisone shots and 3 times a week physical therapy treatments that continued for almost a year, I FINALLY got some relief and the problem subsided.

While the frozen shoulder condition existed, I had to give up trying to play accordion ~ just too painful. As I feel that I am always "just on the brink" of having it recur, I made a decision to not tempt fate by playing accordion, so permanently gave up my dream of doing so. Good luck with your elbow!

Re: Frozen Shoulder

I have a what some call a trick shoulder, I think from my early days of sports and motocross. I have become very aware of what I do with my left shoulder. I put the accordion on my right knee and don't extend the left arm as much as I would if I put the accordion on my left knee. I can tell the difference after playing on either knee. Right is better from my shoulder. I don't do much playing standing up.

Re: Re: Frozen Shoulder

What I wrote above should be right and left "leg" and not knee!! .. Ed

Re: Re: Re: Frozen Shoulder

Thanks for all the replies about the elbow. I got a program from the trainer at my gym that avoids strain on that part (most bicep exercises are included). I'm going to consult a physio too. Friends whp play fiddle have told me about neck problems they've had too and how they approached it.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!