Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Is this the Gus that I think it is?

Hey David,
yes thats me-

Re: For all you 2 & 3 row players... questions

Nonc,
I have spent only a little time on the triple row, but I can tell you that it plays similar to a single row. Each row is a single row accordion. Piano accordions and 5 row chromatic accordions give you the same note on the push and the pull, but I have watched Chris enough to know that it doesn't make it any easier on you. You really have to pumping those things to get the real "feel" of the music.

Re: Re: For all you 2 & 3 row players... questions

Uncle D,

I'm probably not the best resource for triple/two-row queries since I've just recently began to nork around with one -- now that Jr. Martin installed a very nice mic inside of mine. I don't know my way around on it like, say, Corey Ledet... I'm more like Jojo Reed on his very first cassette... no, not even up to dat yet.

Nonetheless, I find the bulkiness and the lack of my security of the thumbstrap more of a workout than the single-row. My left arm elbow and right wrist complains more on the 3-row. That *could be* due to the fact that the straps are a bit short.

But yeah, the 3-row lessens the amount of push/pull action, fer shure. That is, IF you know where those sweet spots are on the fingerboard! Good luck, Nonc! Betcha Chris Miller knows more about the 3-row facts than I do. Until then, use some WD-40 on dem joints an muskles, mon ami!

R!ck

Re: For all you 2 & 3 row players... questions (Chromatic/Diatonic)

Nonc D

You have touched on many issues.

2 & 3 row button accordions are all diatonic (different notes for push & pull).

The main chromatic accordions (push & pull being the same notes) are the piano accordion, the chromatic button accordion usually with 5 rows (& 120 basses), the duet concertina, and a chromatic bandoneon (there are also diatonic bandoneons).

The 2 & 3 row button accordions give you more notes for both the push and pull but not all notes are available in both directions. Ex. on a GCF, high C is only available on the push not on the pull.

If you get a 3 row, make sure you get one with right & left shoulder straps, it really helps over the one shoulder strap with thrumb strap.

But the bigger the accordion the heavier it tends to be.

I have a few piano accordions that are near 30 lbs. - beautiful boxes but heavy (I nicked name one - beast).

If you want to know more contact me and I can go over more of this stuff.

C'ya.

Ron W

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!