Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: G or C music (Chere Ici, Chere Mas)

You can play a G-C-D song on a G accordion, but that isn't what is important. Anyone who is creating TAB, free or otherwise, would be reaching only 1-2% of the accordion players of the world if they were tabbing a G box. You can bet that if the tune is tabbed in G, it is a C accordion.

Re: G or C music

I use a G single-row accordion often in my zydeco band. It's lowwww, bro. Most of the zydeco tunes I play it on are in the key of D(cross-harp.) The single-row is not as limited to one key as many folks might think. I've seen Marc Savoy play one song in three different keys on a single-row. In his hands, it's an amazing and versatile instrument. Check out his video, "The Gospel Accordion To Marc." Of course after watching him play, it's going to be either inspirational or will cause you to drink heavily. Either way, you'll catch a good buzz! And the more you drink, the better you'll sound.

R!ck

Re: Re: G or C music

I had a chance to play one of those low G accordions. Hardly any bellows movement and that thing growls. I have a very old Eagle in F that I picked up for next to nothing. Very high. Can't imagine a G box above that without driving all the neighborhood dogs crazy.
Steve

Re: Re: Re: G or C music

Speaking of going to the dogs, my dogs get up and leave the room every time I start playing my accordion. Should I take this as a bad sign?

Hal

Re: G or C music

Similar to what Steve just mentioned, I have a G box and the note are at least an octive above the G scale on my C box.

It is not a Cajun accordion and only has two reed banks. It is old and of Chech manufacture. I suspect it was use for traditiojnal Eastern Europian music or perhaps Irish jigs and hornpipes.

It was an "I will trade some of my junk for some of your junk" swap and should make an interesting restoration project someday.

RPr

Re: Re: G or C music

My Hohner 114 is a low G and it can growl...

Re: Re: Re: G or C music

114 in G? Holy catfish! Was that stock or did you customize it? How cool!

Rick

Re: Re: Re: Re: G or C music

Stock and old.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!