Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: How did they do dat.

Well, of course, 1st position (push) would be G. 2nd postition (pull) would be D and 3rd position, commonly called "F Position", would be C.

Re: Re: Re: Re: How did they do dat.

Thanks.. I wonder if someone could post a chart of each box and the key and chord possibilities??

C,G,F,A,D,Bb boxes ..

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How did they do dat.

It's really easy to figure out if you use the "number system" Key of "C", C is #1. Count up from there on each next note of the scale. D is #2 , E is #3, F is #4 , G is #5.... that's as far as we need to go. You're looking for the 34 and # 5 notes.
So, on a "C" accordion, "C" ( the #1 )is the first position . The #5 is the second position. In this case that would be "G". And finally, the third position would be the #5, "F".
Just remember the order, #1, #5, #4
key of C = 1st. pos."C" , 2nd. pos. "G", 3rd. pos. "F"
key of G = 1st. pos."G", 2nd. pos. "D", 3d.pos. "C"
Key of F = 1st. pos."F", 2nd. pos. "Bb", 3rd. pos."C"
key of A = 1st. pos."A", 2nd. pos. "D", 3rd. pos. "E"
key of D = 1st. pos."D", 2nd. pos. "G" 3dr. pos. "A"
key of Bb= 1st. pos."Bb" 2nd. pos. "E" 3rd. pos. "F"
Hop this helps.
Jude

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How did they do dat.

Perfect.. thanks much!

Yes, there is a commonly available chart.

Yes, there is a commonly available chart - it is called the circle of fifths (or circle of fourths if you prefer).

Look at the circle of fifths. Find the key of your accordion (or any accordion key you are curious about) - that is the first position (but you already knew that). Go to the adjacent key in a clockwise direction, and you will have the 2nd position key. Go to the adjacent key in a counter clockwise direction, and you will have the 3rd position key.

-David

Not very many G accordions.

Like I said in another recent thread, there are very, very few G accordions. The chances are that if a song is in G, it is played on a C accordion, with almost no exceptions.

-David

Re: Not very many G accordions.

David's got it right. Plus, not many (standard) Cajun players use anything but a C or D accordion. I don't know of any Cajun players using a G accordion. It's just not traditional.

My experience is most Cajun tunes are played in the key of C on a C box. In layman's terms, most of the notes are pushed, rather than pulled, using more notes in the key of C (the one chord.) That's been my experience, overall. That's not to say I don't pull for notes on these tunes -- ya gotta! A lot of turnarounds will switch the key to the draw,(key of G) but principally, the song still is considered in the key of C.

Conversely, I find most zydeco tunes are generally played on the draw (crossharp), and if played on a C accordion, they fit nicely in the key of G. The structure of (nouveau) zydeco tunes almost never have a traditional turnaround in them. Most zydeco bands opt for a rhythmical breakdown to drum/bass/scrubboard rather to a melodic chord change or bridge.

Confusing? Wonderful? -- Both!

R!ck

Re: Re: Not very many G accordions.

All blues tunes are played on the pull. So most of Amedee Ardoin and Octa Clarke stuff is on the pull. coincidentally, on a dee box.

there are many blues tunes that fall on the cajun side of the fence.

jt

Canada is the G box spot..

One row Cajun style boxes in G are used extensively in Quebec music.. that is the most popular Key for a one row as far as I know, and all learning material is pitched on a G box..

Glenn

Very interesting.

Hi Glenn,

That is an interesting tidbit. Are they typically high G or low G? I know that with F, they can be either way, although I have no idea which would be more common.

-David

Re: Very interesting.

Hello.

My Hohner 114 is a low G.

Ron W

Re: Canada is the G box spot..- I disagree

Glenn,
My understanding is that most single row accordions in Quebec are in D, not in G, same as in Newfoundland.

Re: Re: Canada is the G box spot..- I disagree

I own a g one row sonata accordion, not that I play it much. It has a low low sound. They're rare here in Quebec. Gi is very popular for quebecois music, mostly because that's what the fiddles like, I believe.

Re: Re: Canada is the G box spot..- I disagree

Quite right, the key of choice for Quebecois Music played on the Melodeon or 4 stops one row is D , and if you were trying to sell your C box in the Province of Quebec, you would have very few takers, c'est la vie, tant pis .

Krazy.K.

correction

In my haste to post an answer before I left for work,
it seems that I got the order mixed up on some of the keys, in my post below.
Switch the second and third position for the keys of
"F", "A", "D", and "Bb".
Jude

Re: correction

Hi Jude:

Haven't seen you in a while.

Wouldn't the Bflat actually be

1st Bflat
2nd F
3rd Eflat

here is my nashville system chart and circle of fifths.

http://homepage.mac.com/markmarcin/keys.htm

Mark

G boxes in Canada cont. . . .

In Quebec music they very well play in D..( that would be on the pull on a G box ? ).. All I know that the learning material I have is a video using a G box..and was told by numerous sources that G boxes were the preferred key for Quebec music. I can't assertain that and of course believe anyone who is from there and knows far more than me. I do know that when I sold a G box.. i had nearly all takers from Quebec.. and who played that type of music. They seemed to specifically want a G box. Maybe as a second box?

More info is welcome.. G.

Re: G boxes in Canada cont. . . .

Hey Glenn,

Check Gagne et freres, link.
Their music store is located in Quebec city, not far from the Montmagny annual accordion festival location.
Old store, and they do "know" about accordions :).
E-mail or phone Richard Gagne, hell of a guy, an authority on Quebec accordions,their tuning and their past and present makers.
He should be able to give you the "definite answser" on accordion tuning in the Province of Quebec.
Other sources are of course Junior Martin, Larry Miller,and Marc Savoy, as they also sell some of their boxes to the Province of Quebec.
Check also the other link, I provided , a nice man, and builder Clement Breton, nice box too.

Salut.

Claude.

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!