Welcome to old and new friends who are interested in discussing Cajun and other diatonic accordions, along with some occasional lagniappe....

CAJUN ACCORDION DISCUSSION GROUP

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Augusta Review

OK, Russ ..

I'll look at my photo's to find you :-)

Had you brought the red 3-row accordion?

re: Steve & lyrics .. I suppose lyrics are not part
of an accordion seminar, but heck .. it *really* helps
for me to hear the actual artist phonetisizing
(is 'phonetisizing' a word?) the lyrics.

Makes the tunes complete for me!

Merci,

--Biggeroo

PS: Sounds like a knock-out line up in your
neck of the woods!

Re: Augusta Review

Nick,

That was my new red Baffetti 3-row Steve played. He sounded great on that instrument - I'm inching my way into learning it with the help of Corey's DVD, and by slowing down some of my favorite triple row tunes. Corey Ledet tore it up on the three-row Wed night at the Icehouse dance. I was standing across the rail with Jesse Lege, and we were both astounded at Corey's technical virtuosity and musicality on the triple note. He'll be at Grassroots this weekend, along with Keith's band. It's an annual tradition to have all-night dances which this year will feature the Redstick Ramblers on Friday, and alternating Keith and Preston Frank sets on Saturday. Augusta was good preparation to stay up all night. My zydeco band is opening for the Mamou Playboys in Rochester, and my Cajun band is opening for the Magnolia Sisters a week later. It's an honor to share the stage with these particular musicians. Minus me (obviously), my Cajun group gets to back Ray Abshire at the Earlville Opera House. The scene around here has grown by leaps and bounds over the last few years, driven in part by a good dance community, regional bands from Rochester and Ithaca, festivals, and monthly dances featuring Louisiana bands. My own roots as a player go back over 10 years to a group called Chanka Chank, which ended up touring the Northeast, and as a result of opening for Boozoo, performing at his Dog Hill Festival. That was borderline surreal, but he was sincere in his appreciation of the band and we were treated as well as everyone from Louisiana who played that day. I ran into Classie Ballou, Jr., his bass player, who toured with Zydeco Joe last year, and he instantly remembered my old band, and the fun we had together. Before Boozoo's band, he was the bass player with War. Now there's someone who can fill out the bottom of a zydeco band. I attribute everything good that happened with my bands, then and now, to the Augusta experience, mainly learning what it takes to play music as well as possible in a band with good personal chemistry and a great sound. Some of it is fate, but a lot of it is having a goal and working toward it. I'm very lucky to have fine musicians around here who love Louisiana music. Leaving Augusta with the feeling that I'm a musician with a day job, instead of someone who happens to play music as a hobby, was the spark that got all this going.

Russ - Augusta photographs

Russ,

You are one lucky dude .. in my area, Cajun/Zydeco
is one rare commodity!

I'm including a few photo's.

Judging by your description, you must be the person
with the gray shirt on, talking with the person
sitting next to you?

left to right: John, Anne, Big's chair, Chuck, Julie, Russ, ?, Ron, ? & Briggs.

left to right: John, Anne, Big's chair, Chuck, Julie, Russ, ?, Ron, ? & Briggs.

Briggs, (if I got his name correct.)

I forgot who this was, but he played purdy good ..

--Big

Nick, That's me in the photo next to Julia, and to my left are Steve Burnside, Ron, Tim Kness, and Briggs Brown. Briggs was one of the scholarship students from Louisiana. He often plays at DIs. Both Briggs and Braylin Daigle, Paul's son, have impressive rhythm. They are as steady as a rock,playing alone or in a band. That's pretty amazing in 13- and 14-year old musicians.

Re: Re: Augusta Review

Agreed!

When I was 13 years old, I had a paper route
and a Teisco electric guitar!

(I was almost a Beatle!)

--Big

Hey guys,
What are the chances of getting some footage of the class? I would be glad to barter or whatever for a DVD.
Can you throw me a bone? I was in Ed Poullards class. After Steve Steinman mixes down our class, I could get some of that out.

By the way, I totally agree with you assessment of the week, Russ. Kickass!

thanks,
Kirk Jones

Jamey Hall's most excellent Cajun Accordion Music Theory

Brett's all new Cajun Accordion Music Theory for all keys!

LFR1.gif - 1092 Bytes The April 2011 Dewey Balfa Cajun & Creole Heritage Week

augusta.gif - 6841 Bytes

Listen to Some GREAT Music While You Surf the Net!!
The BEST Radio Station on the Planet!